Raj Thackeray gets bail till Oct. 24 in Kalyan caseOctober 22nd, 2008 - 6:40 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, Oct 22 (ANI): Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief Raj Thackeray has been granted bail till October 24 after a Kalyan court sent him to 14-day judicial custody till November 5 in connection with a case of attack against North Indians.
Meanwhile, the Railway Police is also seeking custody of Raj Thackeray in a case related to destruction of property and have reached the Kalyan court with a warrant in Rajs name.
The MNS chief was taken to the Kalyan court from Manpada police station in Thane districts Dombivili town, where he was kept overnight after being arrested by the Mumbai Police.
Raj was taken into custody by the Mumbai Police in Ratnagiri yesterday and charged with provoking hatred among communities and endangering public safety.
Preventive curfew was clamped in Kalyan from 11 a.m. and tight security measures have been put in place outside the court.
MNS activists gathered outside the court, about 60 kms from Mumbai, and indulged in stone throwing and slogan shouting to protest their leaders arrest. They were dispersed by a baton-charge by the police.
After Tuesdays incidents outside the court in Bandra, in Mumbai, where groups of MNS activists indulged in violence, police on Wednesday prevented all journalists from standing near the court.
Raj Thackerays wife Sharmila on Wednesday sat on a dharna outside the Manpada police station, where her husband has been kept in custody, after MNS chiefs supporters were stopped from meeting him, leading to tension in the area and prompting authorities to clamp curfew.
Sharmila went to the Manpada police station, about 60 km from Mumbai, on Wednesday morning to meet her husband. The police allowed her to go in but prevented others who were accompanying her. (ANI)
- Raj Thackeray sent to 14-day judicial custody - Oct 22, 2008
- Police allow Raj Thackeray to hold rally (Lead) - Aug 20, 2012
- Stone-pelting cases: Raj Thackeray gets bail from Aurangabad court - Feb 09, 2011
- Raj Thackeray to take out march even if refused permission - Aug 20, 2012
- Raj Thackeray spends quiet night in jail, Mumbai quiet too - Oct 22, 2008
- Curfew in Kalyan, Raj Thackeray's wife holds sit-in protest (Lead) - Oct 22, 2008
- Violence rocks Kalyan, Thackeray to spend night in police lock-up (With 'Mumbai held to ransom after Raj Thackeray arrest') - Oct 21, 2008
- Modi ignores Uddhav, says Raj - Sep 21, 2011
- Raj Thackeray asks people to stop paying toll tax - Jul 24, 2012
- MNS activists attack toll posts across Maharashtra - Jun 13, 2012
- Raj Thackeray gets bail on surety of rupees one lakh - Jun 29, 2009
- 10,000 Mumbai autorickshaw permit holders agree to electronic meters - Oct 05, 2011
- Raj Thackeray renews attack on north Indian immigrants - Oct 04, 2011
- Raj Thackeray gets jail in second case of rioting (Second Lead) - Oct 21, 2008
- Raj Thackeray taken to Kalyan Railway Police Station - Jun 29, 2009
Tags: activists, bandra, chiefs, curfew, hatred, indians, journalists, judicial custody, maharashtra, mns, mumbai police, october 24, police station, public safety, railway police, raj thackeray, sharmila, slogan, tight security measures, wednesday morning