Rains, snow break long dry spell in KashmirDecember 7th, 2011 - 3:11 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Dec 7 (IANS) A month-and-half-long dry spell was broken across the Kashmir Valley Wednesday morning as rains in the plains and light snowfall in the mountains brought relief to the people.
“Light to moderate rain and snowfall is also expected during the next three days,” Sonam Lotus, director of the local meteorological office, told IANS.
“This will help increase the night temperatures across the valley, bringing relief to the people who had been experiencing dry, cold weather for over a month,” he added.
Kashmir witnessed the season’s first snowfall Oct 18 and since then the weather had remained dry till Wednesday.
Clear night skies had resulted in the temperatures dipping below the freezing point.
“The minimum temperature in summer capital Srinagar was 1.7 degrees Celsius while it was zero degree in south Kashmir’s Pahalgam hill station and minus 4 degrees in north Kashmir’s Gulmarg ski resort,” another official at the weather office said.
“Leh town of Ladakh region recorded a minimum of minus 10.6 degrees while Kargil town in the same region recorded minus 7.2 degrees,” he added.
- Night temperatures rise marginally in Kashmir, Ladakh - Jan 03, 2012
- Kashmir shivers in freezing temperatures - Nov 26, 2011
- Cold shuts schools in Kashmir, Leh freezes at minus 11 - Dec 05, 2011
- Spring rain in Kashmir, farmers elated - Apr 11, 2012
- Mercury rises but Kashmir still freezing - Dec 29, 2011
- Valley, Ladakh in for another cold wave spell - Dec 21, 2011
- Srinagar has coldest night in 16 years - Jan 14, 2012
- Rain and snow to lash Kashmir beginning Wednesday - Jan 02, 2012
- Snowfall, rain likely in Kashmir - Jan 04, 2012
- Dal Lake freezes in sub-zero Kashmir - Jan 12, 2012
- Srinagar has coldest night so far, further dip forecast - Dec 12, 2011
- Kashmir and Ladakh in deep freeze, Leh coldest at minus 22 - Jan 23, 2012
- Snowy day forecast in Kashmir Valley, mountains - Dec 19, 2011
- Kashmir cold wave continues - Dec 03, 2011
- Season's lowest in Srinagar, Leh freezes at minus 16 - Dec 25, 2011
Tags: cold weather, dry spell, first snowfall, freezing point, gulmarg ski resort, kashmir, kashmir valley, light snowfall, lotus, meteorological office, minimum temperature, moderate rain, night skies, night temperatures, north kashmir, pahalgam, south kashmir, srinagar, weather office, wednesday morning