Railway has huge potential for job creation despite recession: LaluFebruary 21st, 2009 - 5:23 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb 21 (ANI): Union Railway Minister Lalu Prasad Yadav on Saturday underlined the need for infrastructure development and modernization of Railways, and said, Indian Railways has a huge potential for growth and job creation, despite the global meltdown.
Despite lay offs in some sectors and a freeze on employment, the Railways is moving ahead with new recruitments, and has a huge potential of growth, Lalu told reporters on the sidelines of a function to mark the foundation day of the All India Management Association (AIMA) here.
Yadav also underlined the need for infrastructure development, expansion and modernization in the Railways.
The Department will spend 2,30,000 crore rupees in the 11th Five Year Plan. With a surplus of over 90,000 crore rupees, the largest public sector enterprise will strive to serve the people in a better fashion rather than focusing only on profit making, he said.
He informed that he would develop a chain of cold storages to help farmers.
To help farmers, the Railways will develop a chain of cold storages on surplus land through public-private partnership mode. It will help the farmers to transport their produce in non-perishable condition and at a faster pace to achieve highest profits, he said.
On the occasion, Lalu presented the Life Time Achievement Award to Dr. Verghese Kurien for Management of dairy products, and Public service excellence award to Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) Chairman Dr. G. Madhavan Nair and his team. (ANI)
- Bihar leaders demand Bharat Ratna for Verghese Kurien - Sep 11, 2012
- Verghese Kurien: rare visionary and astute manager (Tribute) - Sep 10, 2012
- PM, Sonia, Advani pay tributes to Kurien (Lead) - Sep 09, 2012
- Assam hopes for record rice, jute production - Jun 22, 2012
- Kurien an icon of dairy movement: PM - Sep 09, 2012
- Verghese Kurien: the architect of India's White Revolution (Obituary) - Sep 09, 2012
- ADB 170 million dollar facility to help Bihar, Maharashtra modernize horticulture systems - Sep 16, 2010
- Northeast's fourth mega food park in Tripura - Jul 29, 2012
- US developing cold storage facilities in India - Jul 19, 2011
- Scope of exemptions enlarged to improve storage of agricultural produce - Feb 28, 2011
- Father of White Revolution Verghese Kurien is dead (Lead) - Sep 09, 2012
- White paper on railways will be put up before Parliament:Mamata Banerjee - Nov 17, 2009
- Akhilesh Yadav to speed up Delhi-Mumbai industrial corridor - Aug 11, 2012
- Budget: Mega food parks to help in storage - Feb 28, 2011
- G-20 Summit Declaration - Jun 20, 2012
Tags: all india management association aima, cold storages, crore rupees, development expansion, foundation day, global meltdown, india management association, indian railways, indian space research, indian space research organisation, infrastructure development, isro chairman, lalu prasad yadav, life time achievement, life time achievement award, public private partnership, public sector enterprise, railway minister, service excellence award, verghese kurien