Rail Budget to be presented in Lok Sabha todayFebruary 25th, 2011 - 12:01 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb 24 (ANI): The Rail Budget for the year 2011-12 will be presented in the Lok Sabha today.
This will be the third rail budget in a row to be presented by Railway Minister Mamta Banerjee.
Without revealing any budget details, Banerjee said, “It will be people-friendly, passenger-friendly and country- friendly budget.”
The budget could also find mention of mega base kitchens in the metros preparing 50,000 to one lakh meals per day for train passengers.
The budget could also announce launching off a new SMS-based service to lodge complaints against rail service by passengers.
In order to provide clean linens to passengers, Railways are likely to announce setting up of mechanised laundry service at zonal levels.
The Rail Budget is likely to announce introduction of about 100 new trains including a dozen super fast Durontos.
The Budget comes at a time when the Railways are facing financial crunch with its operating ratio inching close to 100 level mark.
In order to promote cultural activities, Railways are also planning to construct auditorium in Kharagpur, Jalpaiguri and Jabalpur.
Catering to the student community, Banerjee could also announce running of student special trains keeping in mind the travel requirement during examinations and trains with only bookings under Tatkal scheme. (ANI)
- Railway recruitment exams to be held in regional languages - Feb 24, 2010
- Tamil Nadu gets new trains, integrated suburban network - Feb 25, 2011
- Mamata Banerjee's largesse for Maharashtra - Feb 25, 2011
- Mamata apologises for not achieving world-class station target - Feb 25, 2011
- BJP activists protest against Railway Budget - Feb 27, 2010
- Didi ignored our safety on trains, say women - Feb 25, 2011
- Railways to welcome private investment in infrastructure development - Feb 24, 2010
- What is there for the common man in the rail budget - Jul 03, 2009
- No increase in passenger fairs: Mamata - Feb 25, 2011
- Mamata flags off three new Duronto Express trains - Mar 31, 2010
- Mamata offers bait to states for safe train movement - Feb 25, 2011
- Karnataka to chug faster on Mamata's largesse - Feb 24, 2010
- Andhra chief minister welcomes rail budget - Feb 25, 2011
- New trains announced to keep Mamata's promise - Mar 09, 2012
- 'Railways working to improve standard of cleanliness, amenities in trains' - Aug 12, 2010
Tags: bookings, budget details, financial crunch, jalpaiguri, kitchens, lakh, laundry service, linens, Lok Sabha, mamta banerjee, metros, New Delhi, operating ratio, railway minister, railways, train passengers, trains, travel requirement