Rahul Gandhi’s birthday celebrated across Uttar PradeshJune 19th, 2009 - 11:35 pm ICT by ANI
Lucknow/Kanpur/Allahabad (Uttar Pradesh), June 19 (ANI): Large number of supporters and activists of Congress party celebrated the 39th birthday of Congress leader Rahul Gandhi in different parts of Uttar Pradesh on Friday.
The Congress party decided to celebrate Rahul Gandhi’s birthday as ‘Samrasta Divas’ (Harmony Day).
Born on June 19, 1970, Rahul Gandhi is a Member of Parliament from Amethi constituency in the state.
Though Rahul was in Lodon, his absence did not seem to deter his admirers in Uttar Pradesh, the state he represents in the 15th Lok Sabha.
In Lucknow, after holding a two-wheeler rally , the Congress party workers hosted a lunch for the ‘have-nots’ from a downtown locality of the city.
In Allahabad, the party activists danced with utmost excitement to the beats of drums to hail the birthday of their young leader of the state.
In Kanpur, the congress supporters did not lag behind as was evident in Jajmau locality of the city where cakes were cut and distributed to mark his birthday.
The Kanpur City Congress Committee chose Jajmau for the occasion as Rahul Gandhi visited the place in September last year.
The Congress Committee also distributed cash, gifts and sweets to the people whom Gandhi had met during his visit.
“I will do what ever I can for him (Rahul Gandhi, General Secretary of Congress party). I got money and clothes as gifts,” said Lali, a resident of Jajmau, Kanpur visited by Rahul Gandhi.
Political analysts have termed Rahul Gandhi being instrumental in the emergence of Congress as the single largest party in the recently concluded general polls.
His tactical moves were based on grassroots activism, building deep connections to rural India and trying to democratise the hierarchical Congress party itself.
Rahul turned down a cabinet post in the Manmohan Singh Government and is concentrating on strengthening the party at the grassroots.
Meanwhile Mayawati, chief of northern Uttar Pradesh, whose Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) is reportedly observing Rahul Gandhi’s birthday as the day of shame, hit out at the opposition political parties.
She blamed all the opposition parties of uniting in recently concluded general polls and ensuring that a daughter of low-caste should not become the prime minister.
“All the parties united against the candidate of the Bahujan Samaj Party ensuring that a daughter of low-caste should not become Prime Minister of the country,” said Mayawati while addressing a public rally in Lucknow.
Congress party bagged 21 seats while Mayawati’s BSP could only manage 20 of the total 80 seats in the general polls in the state. (ANI)
- BJP on ventilator in Uttar Pradesh: Rahul Gandhi - Nov 25, 2011
- Congress is scared of BSP, says Mayawati - Nov 27, 2011
- Maya attacks Akhilesh for changing names of eight districts (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Mayawati ignores common man, promotes corrupt: Rahul - Feb 15, 2012
- Did loud mouth ministers script Congress debacle in UP? - Apr 06, 2012
- Hundreds detained as Congress takes on Mayawati government (Second Lead) - May 12, 2011
- Mayawati lashes out at CEC for covering statues - Jan 15, 2012
- Rahul justifies 'begging' remark - Nov 22, 2011
- Astrologers say Mulayam is king, Bejan Daruwalla differs - Mar 05, 2012
- khilesh reverts names of eight UP districts - Jul 23, 2012
- Samajwadi Party leader expelled for protests against Rahul Gandhi - Dec 13, 2011
- Rahul continues broadside against Mayawati, Mulayam - Nov 24, 2011
- Mayawati's attacks out of desperation: Congress - Dec 18, 2011
- Congress to hold rally in Mayawati's village - May 14, 2011
- Congress should tie up with BSP: Beni Prasad Verma - Mar 04, 2012
Tags: cabinet post, cash gifts, congress committee, congress leader, congress party, congress supporters, grassroots activism, harmony day, kanpur city, Lok Sabha, lucknow, manmohan, manmohan singh, member of parliament, party activists, political analysts, rahul gandhi, tactical moves, two wheeler, young leader