Rahul Gandhi spends time with Karnataka dalits, tribalsMarch 25th, 2008 - 4:24 pm ICT by admin
By K G Vasuki
B.R Hills (Karnataka), Mar 25 (ANI): Following his breakfast with tribals in the BR Hills area of Karnataka, Congress General Secretary Rahul Gandhi spent some more time with dalits and tribals on the first day of his five-day road show in the state.
He used the opportunity of the interaction to attack critics of the farm loan waiver scheme announced by the UPA Government during this years Budget proposals for next fiscal.
He commended the efforts of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress President Sonia Gandhi in listening to the voice of the poor.
He also said English education can transform a person and give him or her better opportunities.
On his maiden official visit to Karnataka ahead of the State Assembly elections, Rahul Gandhi spoke about economics, governance and in a subtle way came down on the opposition NDA.
He said this government (UPA Government) had put in an effort of balancing towards the poor and not towards the rich.
In a gesture, he had lunch with tribal children at the Vivekananda Kendra.
In another function, the tribals gave a memorandum asking him to sort out many issues relating to the forest dwellers act.
He expressed gratitude to the tribal for preserving and protecting the forests for years and called upon them to protect knowledge.
Gandhi will be in Karnataka from March 25 to 28. (ANI)
- Digvijay supports Supreme Court ruling on Salwa Judum - Jul 15, 2011
- Rahul Gandhi to address tribal rally in Orissa - Aug 26, 2010
- Development answer to left-wing extremism: Sonia Gandhi (Roundup) - Dec 16, 2011
- Development is answer to left-wing extremism: Sonia (Second Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- I'll welcome Rahul Gandhi to UPA government: Manmohan Singh - Aug 11, 2012
- Rahul defines the 'aam aadmi' - Dec 19, 2010
- MPs should live up to standards of founding fathers: Sonia (Lead) - May 13, 2012
- Activists protest against forest land-grab - May 21, 2011
- Country cannot change without support of poor people: Rahul Gandhi - Nov 03, 2010
- Rahul Gandhi begins Karnataka roadshow with a visit to a tribal hamlet - Mar 25, 2008
- Rahul congratulates tribals for winning battle against mining - Aug 26, 2010
- RSS supports Anna's stir, to mobilise people against graft - Aug 27, 2011
- Determined to contest, Sangma quits NCP (Second Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Rahul connects with Karnataka tribals, wins their hearts - Mar 25, 2008
- Sonia, Rahul sympathy for farmers for political gains: BJP - May 24, 2011
Tags: assembly elections, budget proposals, congress president sonia gandhi, english education, farm loan, forest dwellers, general secretary, gesture, gratitude, manmohan, manmohan singh, march 25, memorandum, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rahul gandhi, state assembly, tribals, vasuki, vivekananda kendra