Rahul Gandhi commends UPA Government for listening to the voice of tribalsMarch 26th, 2008 - 1:15 pm ICT by admin
B R Hills (Karnataka), Mar 26 (ANI): Congress General Secretary Rahul Gandhi has commended Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi for listening to the voice of tribals.
Kicking off his second Discover India tour in Karnatakas Chamarajanagar District, Ganghi said: “When one spends one rupee for the poor, everybody asks why we are spending it and if the same one rupee goes to the non-poor, there is no criticism.”
The issue is not about being pro-poor or pro-rich, the issue is about being fair and I commend the Prime Minister and the Congress president for listening to the voice of the poor,” he said.
He said, society was ignoring the traditional wisdom of the tribal communities on environmental and conservation issues at tremendous cost, and it was imperative that the acquired knowledge of thousands of years be tapped for sustainable living as practised by tribal and forest dwelling communities.
Gandhi interacted with Dalits and representatives of other backward class communities, besides participating in a public meeting that Adivasis attended.
He drew attention to the National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme and the loan waiver for farmers as testimony of the Congress party commitment to the weaker sections of the society.
He emphasised that his party had implemented the provisions of the Scheduled Tribes and Other Traditional Forest Dwellers (Recognition of Forest Rights) Act and advocated education as a means to reduce the differences among various strata of society. He talked about those who belittled the Rs 60,000-crore farm loan waiver scheme. (ANI)
- Development answer to left-wing extremism: Sonia Gandhi (Roundup) - Dec 16, 2011
- Development is answer to left-wing extremism: Sonia (Second Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- 'Ghaans ki Roti' still a staple food for tribals in the times of PDS - Nov 20, 2010
- Rahul-Ajit combo try to whip up magic in Meerut (Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- Sonia meets Karnataka sect leader, party workers - Apr 28, 2012
- Caste consciousness reigns supreme in India: Gandhy (Lead) - Jul 16, 2011
- Maoist ideologue Kobad Gandhy speaks from Tihar - Jul 16, 2011
- Development is answer to left-wing extremism: Sonia (Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- Showcasing a 'pro-poor' agenda in tribal heartland - Jun 07, 2011
- Rahul to blame if Congress performs badly: BJP - Mar 04, 2012
- Rahul cites defaulting industrialists to back farm loan waiver - Mar 26, 2008
- Sonia launches National Rural Livelihood Mission (Lead) - Jun 03, 2011
- Jayalalithaa, Patnaik bond, stress cooperation among states - May 11, 2012
- Funds for rural employment programme misused: Sonia Gandhi - Feb 02, 2011
- Plan panel dubbed 'insensitive' for denying free drugs to poor - Sep 06, 2010
Tags: class communities, congress party, congress president sonia gandhi, conservation issues, dalits, discover india, farm loan, forest dwellers, ganghi, guarantee scheme, india tour, manmohan, manmohan singh, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rahul gandhi, traditional forest, traditional wisdom, tribal communities, tribals