RAF turn Jedi knights during sortie on TalibanApril 21st, 2008 - 3:06 pm ICT by admin
London, Apr.21 (ANI): Britains Royal Air Force pilots turned Jedi Knights on Sunday night, piloting eight Harriers bristling with hi-tech weaponry, on Taliban camps in Afghanistan.
They got the moniker because they were using new night vision goggles that made them look like something straight out of Star Wars.
The Sun quoted Squadron Leader Dave Kane, 34, as warning that: “No one can deny we have the ‘Force’. We earned the call sign ‘Jedi’ after we were the first to trial night vision goggles enabling us to operate fully at night and creep up on the enemy.”
Each pilot also had a number after the call sign, eg, “Jedi 3″.
The state-of-the-art warplanes belong to the RAF’s oldest squadron - Number 1 - which is based at Cottesmore, Leicesteshire.
The jets boast missiles guided by GPS and laser, ground attack rockets and bombs. A pod underneath each jet, fitted with cameras, provides reconnaissance of the target and battle areas. At night, forward-looking infrared systems are used with the pilot’s all-seeing goggles.
“The Jedi name stuck and now we’ve adopted it as our call sign,” Squadron Leader Kane said. (ANI)
- Will Britain use Harriers to silence Gaddafi forces? - Apr 18, 2011
- IAF may get 'Star Wars' helmet from European consortium - Feb 04, 2011
- Navy to get Black Panther squadron of MiG-29Ks by October (Lead) - Sep 09, 2009
- Prince William 'battling to serve in Falkland Islands' - Sep 26, 2010
- Indian Navy inducts Mig-29K combat jets - Feb 19, 2010
- HPT-32 trainer claimed lives of 23 pilots: IAF chief - Oct 03, 2011
- Indian Navy to induct Mig-29K fighters Friday - Feb 18, 2010
- Remote-controlled RAF drones killing Taliban kingpins at rate of one per week - Oct 28, 2010
- Prince William gets his helicopter wings - Sep 17, 2010
- Night vision goggles being used in dog fouling crackdown - Jan 30, 2012
- Massive search for MiG-29 wreckage on - Oct 26, 2011
- Indian Navy to induct Mig-29K fighter jets - Jan 31, 2010
- Britain to sack nearly 100 air force trainee pilots - Feb 14, 2011
- New night vision goggles that 'turn night into day'! - Dec 13, 2009
- IAF's Sukhois to roar close to Pakistan border - Sep 30, 2011
Tags: air force pilots, battle areas, cottesmore, harriers, infrared systems, jedi knights, jedi name, jets, kane, missiles, moniker, night vision goggles, raf, reconnaissance, rockets, squadron leader, squadron number, taliban, target, weaponry