Radicals attack Valentines Day celebrationsFebruary 14th, 2009 - 9:03 pm ICT by ANI
Agra/ Bijnaur/ Aurangabad, Feb. 14 (ANI): Saint Valentine’’s Day turned out to be a nightmarish experience for a number of lovers across the nation, who fell victim to various radical outfits violent protest.
In Agra, Shiv Sena activists caught hold of a couple near Taj Mahal and tonsured the Male partner in full public glare.
We are trying to save our country’’s culture and tradition and Shiv Sainiks (members) are taking rounds all over. We came here to stop all vulgar activities that are going on here. As soon as the police came to know about it they arrested us, said Vinu Lavaniya, a Shiv Sena activist.
Police swung into action and took the Sena activists into custody for disrupting peace.
“The arrested Shiv Sainiks were around 10-12 as they do not have any right to assault anybody. Their presence and behaviour made us arrest them as they disrupted peace,” said B.P Ashok, superintendent of police.
Many couples in Aurangabad and Bijnaur also faced similar protests. In both the cities, hardliner outfits blackened the faces of couples celebrating Valentines Day.
In another incident, protesters caught hold of a couple and garlanded them in an act of mock marriage.
Popularity of Valentine’’s Day can be easily assumed by the soaring prices of gift products like balloons, flowers, velvet pillows and teddy bears around the festival.
But hardliner groups oppose Valentine’’s Day celebrations saying it is a symbol of “cultural corruption” due to western influence. (ANI)
- Moral brigades to keep off this Valentine's Day - Feb 12, 2012
- Moral brigades not to play spoilsport on Valentine's Day (Lead) - Feb 12, 2012
- Protests mark Valentine's Day in Andhra Pradesh - Feb 14, 2012
- Hindu radical outfit protests against Valentine's Day in Jammu and Kashmir - Feb 12, 2011
- Change of heart? No V-Day rampage, promise Hindu outfits - Feb 12, 2011
- Agra runs on Valentine's Day, Sena posts 'love guards' - Feb 14, 2011
- Moral police finally bow to Valentine's Day - Feb 14, 2012
- Mumbai youth enjoy Valentine's Day as MNS, Sena lie low - Feb 14, 2011
- Bajrang Dal forces lovers to tie rakhi or get married - Feb 14, 2011
- Shiv Sena activists arrested for beating lovers in Agra - Feb 15, 2009
- Karnataka says no to Rama Sene shutdown call (Lead) - Feb 13, 2010
- Bajrang Dal activists threaten couples celebrating Valentine's Day in Kanpur - Feb 14, 2011
- Shiv Sainiks attack daily's office - Jan 28, 2012
- Mutalik gets black face for opposing Valentine's Day - Feb 11, 2010
- 'MNIK' releases in 13 Mumbai halls to huge response - Feb 12, 2010
Tags: activists, ashok, aurangabad, celebrating valentines day, celebrations, feb 14, glare, male partner, mock marriage, nightmarish experience, protesters, radicals, saint valentine, shiv sainiks, shiv sena, taj mahal, valentine s day, velvet pillows, violent protest, western influence