Radical Sikh group takes out ‘genocide remembrance march’ in AmritsarJune 3rd, 2009 - 7:02 pm ICT by ANI
Amritsar, June 3(ANI): Sikh radicals on Wednesday took out a ‘genocide remembrance march’ in Amritsar to mark the start of events linked to the 25th anniversary of ‘Bluestar’ the military operation.
The focus of the march was to demand a memorial for those who lost their lives in the Operation Bluestar of the Indian Army.
“We are demanding a memorial for those who lost their lives in Operation Bluestar. Seven year back the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbhandhak Committee had announced that they will erect a monument in the memory of those who died during the operation,” said Harnam Singh Dhooma, Chief, Damdami Taksal Bhindranwala, a radical Sikh Group.
Security forces had launched a campaign codenamed “Operation Blue Star” in 1984 to flush out a Sikh militant leader Jarnail Singh Bhindranwala and several of his followers, who had taken shelter in amritsar’s Golden Temple.
Bhindranwale was one of the main architects of militancy in Punjab, which saw nearly 3,000 people lose their lives to regular bombing of buses and markets. (ANI)
- Sikh clergy lays foundation stone of Operation Bluestar memorial - May 20, 2012
- Dal Khalsa releases Operation Bluestar directory - Jun 05, 2012
- Amarinder opposes Operation Bluestar memorial - Jun 05, 2012
- Pro-Khalistan slogans raised in Golden Temple complex - Jun 06, 2012
- Punjab at crossroads: Sikh clergy gives in to radical rhetoric (Punjab Newsletter) - Jun 08, 2012
- DamDami Taksal chief wants PM to take initiative to resolve Sikhs' issues - Jun 04, 2009
- Sikh radicals to hold 'genocide march' in Amritsar (Lead) - Jun 02, 2009
- Radical Sikhs to take out 'genocide march' in Amritsar - Jun 02, 2009
- Sikhs demand ban on Kuldip Nayar's book - Jul 14, 2012
- Sikh leaders perform Akhand Path on Blue Star anniversary - Jun 06, 2009
- 'Save Bhullar' campaign picking up in Punjab - Jun 22, 2011
- Remembering Operation Bluestar, Sikh radicals march in Amritsar (With Images) - Jun 03, 2009
- Akalis seek to evoke memories of Operation Bluestar before election - Mar 22, 2009
- Sikh organisations to mark 25 years of Operation Bluestar - May 24, 2009
- Subdued events mark 25 years of Operation Bluestar - Jun 06, 2009
Tags: 25th anniversary, amritsar, bhindranwala, bhindranwale, blue star, damdami taksal, genocide, golden temple, group security, indian army, june 3, militancy, militant leader, military operation, operation bluestar, punjab, radicals, remembrance, security forces, shiromani gurdwara