Quantum of sentence in Nitish Katara murder case todayMay 30th, 2008 - 9:01 am ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 30 (ANI): A Patiala House court will today pronounce the quantum of sentence to Vikas Yadav, the son of Uttar Pradesh politician D P Yadav, and his cousin Vishal Yadav, who were convicted in connection with the Nitish Katara murder case.
The quantum of sentence may range from life term to death penalty.
Vikas and Vishal had allegedly abducted Katara, the son of an IAS officer, from a marriage party in Ghaziabad on the intervening night of February 16-17, 2002.
The victim’s body was later recovered from a village in Uttar Pradesh’s Bulandshahr District.
According to the prosecution, Katara, a business executive, was killed by the two accused as they did not approve of their sister Bharti Yadav’s growing proximity with him.
Earlier, the prosecution had produced evidence of Ajay Katara having seen the accused taking Nitish to their car on the fateful night near Hapur Chungi in Ghaziabad.
The accused contended that the chain of events in the case remained incomplete as none of the prosecution witnesses had either supported the abduction or identified the main accused.
Ajay Katara’s testimony was also challenged on the premise that the police recorded his statement over 20 days after the crime. (ANI)
- Nitish Katara murder witness guilty of lying, says convict (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Katara murder case: Delhi HC allows Vikas to attend brother's wedding - Apr 26, 2011
- Nitish Katara murder: Third accused held guilty - Jul 06, 2011
- Nitish Katara murder witness guilty of lying, says convict - Jul 17, 2012
- Nitish Katara murder: Verdict on third accused Wednesday - Jul 05, 2011
- Sukhdev Pehalwan gets life term for Nitish Katara murder (Second Lead) - Jul 12, 2011
- Katara murder case: HC allows Vikas Yadav to attend sister's wedding - Oct 23, 2009
- Nitish Katara murder: Arguments on punishment July 12 - Jul 07, 2011
- Nitish Katara murder: Court seeks Vikas Yadav's health records - Feb 01, 2012
- HC permits Vishal Yadav to attend sister's engagement - Dec 31, 2009
- Death term sought for Katara murder convict - Jan 20, 2012
- Death term sought for Katara murder convict (Lead) - Jan 20, 2012
- Vikas Yadav wants four days leave from jail - Nov 09, 2011
- Ajay Katara arrested over kidnapping charges - Oct 03, 2008
- Court orders medical inspection of Nitish Katara killers - Feb 02, 2012
Tags: abducted, abduction, business executive, cousin, d p yadav, death penalty, fateful night, ghaziabad, marriage, marriage party, New Delhi, nitish katara murder, nitish katara murder case, patiala house court, politician, premise, prosecution witnesses, proximity, quantum, testimony