Python swallows 40 kilogram deer alive!December 26th, 2008 - 9:16 pm ICT by ANI
By Shivaji Salunkhe
Pune, Dec.26 (ANI): An Indian rock python near Pune city of Maharashtra State attracted a lot of pubic attention on Thursday when it swallowed a 40 kilogram deer alive!
The python was first noticed by a farmer couple in Mulshi, a village 50 kms from Pune. They were taken aback after noticing 12-feet python in their field with a hugely swollen abdomen. It looked quite lethargic, lying motionless for long.
Curious villagers, who converged on the site after learning about the strange python, were scared to notice the reptile in such a condition. They approached ”Friends of Nature”, a voluntary organization, for help.
”Friends of Nature” identified the python to belong to Indian rock python species, which is quite rare.
“The python took 10 minutes to vomit it (deer) completely. As it kept coming out we got to know that it is like barking deer, and it came out. For about two minutes the python did not move because the head of barking deer was stuck in its jaws. And, it was not moving,” said Naina Aabale, an activist of a voluntary organization.
The activists with the help of villagers then took the python to a secluded place. They confirmed that the python had swallowed a large sized animal.
It was later found that the animal was a Chinkara deer, which was thrown out by the python during spasmodic movements through its mouth. It was feeling uneasy since swallowing the deer, as it could not digest it.
The python has been kept in the jungle in Mulshi and is being treated for internal injuries. (ANI)
- Python caught near Madhya Pradesh chief minister's house - Aug 08, 2011
- Probe ordered in poaching charge against army soldiers - Nov 25, 2011
- Birds, animals up for adoption in Haryana - Jan 06, 2011
- Five poachers arrested in Rajasthan - Jul 26, 2012
- Missing in action, Uttarakhand's goral and barking deer (With Images) - May 18, 2012
- Three poachers arrested with chinkara parts - Jan 28, 2012
- Deer protects mother goose - Apr 07, 2011
- Animals dying as water sources dry up in Rajasthan - Jun 01, 2010
- Judges withdraw from Lavasa Lake City hearing - Dec 06, 2010
- 'Mega Python Vs. Gatoroid' Draws Poor Reviews - Jan 30, 2011
- Giant Python Caught in Florida - Aug 14, 2012
- Rising deer population a headache for Delhi Zoo - Dec 30, 2010
- No romance for Delhi zoo's bears, deer this winter - Nov 20, 2011
- Conditional green nod for Lavasa hill city project (Roundup) - Nov 09, 2011
- Two poachers held with deer carcasses in Uttar Pradesh - Apr 16, 2010
Tags: activist, activists, barking deer, chinkara deer, internal injuries, jaws, jungle, kilogram, python species, python swallows, reptile, rock python, spasmodic movements, swollen abdomen, two minutes, voluntary organization