Puppeteers on World Puppetry Day enthrall people of TripuraMarch 22nd, 2009 - 4:50 pm ICT by ANI
Agartala, Mar 22 (ANI): Puppets on strings, rods and hands enthralled hundreds of enthusiastic spectators at an event organised on the occasion of World Puppetry Day here on Saturday.
World Puppetry Day is celebrated with an objective to preserve and popularise the art of puppetry.
Several professional puppeteers and some new artistes in the field participated in the event.
The show enchanted the children and adults with interesting stories, endearing characters, colourful sets, lively music, songs and choreography.
Besides providing entertainment, the show also projected various socio-economic aspects encountered by the society.
This is the first time I have seen a puppet show. Till now I have just seen the cartoon shows on the TV. But this is livelier than the cartoon shows. It was very interesting and I enjoyed it thoroughly,” opined Sucheta Das, an audience.
Puppet shows are not just audio-visual medium, but multi-sensory and this form of performing art caters to the need of almost lively mode of entertainment.
Technologically we have upgraded like sound, music and songs. And people liked it. Whatever the medium, be it a film, a drama, theatre or dance, if it is not up to date, people will not like your production, said Prabitangshu Das, organiser of World Puppetry Day programme.
Puppetry has been one of the most ancient forms of entertainment in India. It has been an effective visual art to convey varied messages to the society.
Puppetry amalgamates drama, music and painting into an imaginative medium to put across social ideas and religious or mythological stories to Indias rural folks, who by and large, are illiterate or semi-literate.
Its character lies in its grotesque imitations of reality that draws the attention of the viewers with remarkable results. (ANI)
- Troupe from Tripura, Manipur to perform in Germany - Sep 05, 2012
- Festival brings Iran, Afghan puppet traditions to India (With Images) - Feb 02, 2012
- Colours, innovations to dazzle puppet stage in Delhi (With Image) - Feb 01, 2011
- "Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer" Live On Stage - Dec 02, 2010
- Kolkata activists spread AIDS awareness through puppet show - Sep 20, 2010
- Global children performing arts fest begins in Delhi - Dec 08, 2011
- Focus on Indian folk at Sangeet Natak Akademi festival - Jul 27, 2011
- Sound of music once more - on Indian TV channels - Apr 02, 2012
- Fly with Mickey, Minnie in Jet's Disney-themed aircraft (With image) - Jul 09, 2012
- India, Pakistan likely to sign culture pact - Apr 16, 2012
- Movie Preview: Impatient Vivek - Jan 06, 2011
- Potpouri of hits - Top 10 Bollywood movies (2011 in Retrospect) (To go with Bollywood went from gloom to glory) - Dec 15, 2011
- Amar Chitra Katha to release animation film - Jul 31, 2012
- 'Gangs Of Wasseypur' - a romp into raw, rugged heartland (IANS Movie Review - Rating: ****) - Jun 22, 2012
- Astad Deboo bridges social divide with Tagore choreography - Nov 12, 2011
Tags: agartala, choreography, drama music, drama theatre, economic aspects, endearing characters, forms of entertainment, imitations, lively music, music songs, performing art, professional puppeteers, puppet show, puppet shows, puppetry, puppets, remarkable results, sound music, spectators, visual art