Punjabi music taking Punjabiat to places through BollywoodNovember 14th, 2008 - 8:55 pm ICT by ANI
By Sunil Sharma
Chandigarh, Nov.14 (ANI): Punjabi music which has today captivated a huge number of fans beyond Punjab, especially abroad, is creating a great influence in Bollywood films.
Almost every other film from Bollywood is found carrying a Punjabi number or lyrics in dialogues. The recent popularity of Singh is Kinng through its song Jee Karda, the Punjabi playback singer Labh Janjua not only gained immense popularity but also brought the spotlight on Punjabi culture and language. The film has also highlighted how Punjabi language is influencing the Indian cinema of the present day.
Punjabis influence has been prominently noticeable in a number of recent films such as `Singh is Kinng”, `Jab We Met” and `Heroes”. This new focus in Hindi films is a result of the growing demand for Punjabi numbers.
Labh Janjua, the Punjabi singer of Singh is Kinng says: Punjabi songs are getting highlighted, as Punjab is usually a happening place in the development of art. The mode and language of Punjabi music is very open. Drumbeats and vocal music in Punjabi songs is very energetic. The popular trend for Punjabi music has also helped gain a big exposure to Punjabi folk instrument players like Harpal Singh who plays Tumbi. Harpal Singh says: In Bollywood, `Tumbi” is now in great demand. The `Jee Karda” song in the film `Singh is Kinng” starts with the tune of Tumbi. This song has become very popular as well as the instrument gained worldwide fame.
Filmmakers are increasingly using Punjabi lyrics in dialogues as well as songs. The songs in particular are being used with original folk instruments in the present day Indian cinema to draw maximum music loving audience.
There are Ghazals and romantic songs in Punjabi too. With growing charm of Punjabi music and its culture among non-Punjabis, many people opine that the Bollywood has provided a platform to showcase `Punjabiyat”. J. S. Cheema, Film Director, said: With the Punjabi musics influence growing in the Hindi cinema, the popularity of Punjabi folk in instruments has helped local musicians and musical instruments a lot. Punjabi chorus singers have also been used to give back up in Hindi songs. I see this trend growing in future. Today, many popular singers are contributing to the Indian cinema and making a difference through Bollywood films.
After Mumbai, Chandigarh has become a hub for music composers, singers and filmmakers to cash in on this phenomenon. (ANI)
- More turbaned Sikhs in Bollywood, Punjabis say 'balle balle' - May 21, 2009
- Balle balle! Punjabi music is flavour of Bollywood - Mar 09, 2011
- Fun elements make 'Band Baaja Baaraat' an entertainer album (IANS Music Review) - Nov 10, 2010
- Punjabi filmmakers want to tell realistic stories - Jan 16, 2012
- Bollywood music - cruising on the wings of change! - May 31, 2011
- Now Honey Singh set to conquer Bollywood - May 08, 2012
- Punjab to set up censor board for videos, lyrics - Aug 23, 2012
- Regional talent wins top honours at 59th National film awards (Roundup) - Mar 07, 2012
- Punjabi industry lacks cinema knowledge, says comedian Ghuggi - Oct 06, 2011
- Rawness core of 'Vicky Donor' music album (IANS Music Review) - Apr 11, 2012
- Instrumental tunes save 'Joker' soundtrack (IANS Music Review) - Aug 06, 2012
- Happy at popularity of Punjabi music: Daler Mehndi - Oct 02, 2011
- 'Speedy Singh', a treat for bhangra, hip hop lovers (IANS Music Review) - Sep 04, 2011
- Fourth 'Punjabi Film Festival' concludes in Amritsar - Apr 04, 2011
- For Harshdeep, lyrics are backbone of a song (With Image) - May 15, 2012
Tags: bollywood films, cheema, drumbeats, folk instrument, folk instruments, happening place, harpal singh, hindi films, immense popularity, indian cinema, instrument players, maximum music, playback singer, punjabi singer, punjabi songs, recent films, romantic songs, tumbi, vocal music, worldwide fame