Punjab CM Badal expresses solidarity with Pak detenu Sarabjit SinghMarch 18th, 2008 - 12:59 pm ICT by admin
Chandigarh/ Patna, Mar 18 (ANI): Punjab Chief Minister Prakash Singh Badal has expressed solidarity with Sarabjit Singh, the Indian detenu to be hanged at a Lahore Jail on April 1. “All political parties, full house and all the people of Punjab are worried and have appealed to the Prime Minister to contact Pakistani authorities for mercy,” said Badal.
Meanwhile, people in Patna took out a protest march and offered prayers for Sarabjit’s freedom.
According to media reports, the death warrant for Sarabjit was received by authorities at Kot Lakhpat Jail in Lahore where he has been languishing for the last 17 years.
Sarabjit, who Pakistan claims is actually Manjit Singh, was sentenced to death for his alleged involvement in the bomb blasts in Lahore and Multan that killed 14 people in 1991.
Sarbjit’s sister Dalbir Kaur also met Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi to seek support for her brother’s release.
Rahul is said to have assured Dalbir that he would take up the matter with the concerned authorities.
It may be recalled that in an attempt to put a pressure on the governments of India and Pakistan, Dalbir had earlier threatened self-immolation.
The Indian Government has sought consular access and pressed for clemency for Sarabjit.
Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf has rejected Sarabjit’s mercy plea close on the heels of the release of Kashmir Singh, another death row prisoner who was recently released by Islamabad.
Pakistan’s Supreme Court had also rejected Sarabjit’s mercy petition in March 2006. (ANI)
- Sarabjit and Surjeet: Shock in one home, joy in another (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Have come with hopes of brother's release: Sarbjeet's sister - Jun 07, 2011
- Pakistan to release Sarabjit Singh soon, says lawyer - Sep 07, 2012
- Krishna raises Sarabjit issue with Zardari - Sep 08, 2012
- Fresh evidence says Sarabjit is innocent: Pakistani lawyer - Dec 06, 2010
- Jubilation to despair for Sarabjit's family - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's family shattered by Pakistan's 'cruel joke' (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's kin in Ajmer, seek his release - Apr 08, 2012
- Sarabjit's family elated in Punjab - Jun 26, 2012
- Surjeet Singh, not Sarabjit Singh, to be released: Pakistan - Jun 27, 2012
- Pakistan does volte-face, says Surjeet Singh, not Sarabjit, to be released (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Reopen case, allow me to prove my innocence: Sarabjit - Jun 17, 2011
- Zardari commutes Indian prisoner Sarabjit's death sentence - Jun 26, 2012
- Conditions favourable in Pakistan for Sarabjit's release: Sister - Jul 05, 2011
- India presses for Sarabjit's release, awaits confirmation (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
Tags: badal, bomb blasts, clemency, death row prisoner, death warrant, india and pakistan, indian government, islamabad pakistan, kaur, mercy petition, multan, pakistan president pervez musharraf, pakistani authorities, patna, pervez musharraf, president pervez musharraf, protest march, punjab chief minister, rahul gandhi, self immolation