Pune runs to pay homage to martyrs and victims of Mumbai attacksDecember 7th, 2008 - 4:02 pm ICT by ANI
Pune, Dec.7 (ANI): Fifty thousand people including one hundred international long distance runners participated in an International Marathon in Pune to express their solidarity and pay homage to the martyrs and the victims of the Mumbai attacks.
Organised by the Pune International Marathon Trust (PIMT) under the aegis of the Athletic Federation of India (AFI), the event was flagged off by Minister of State for External Affairs Anand Sharma.
“All of us have gathered here to pay homage to our brave soldiers,Police officers and civilians, who lost their lives in the Mumbai attack. We want to convey a message to the entire world that nobody can insult our national flag and hurt our nation’’s pride,” Sharma said in his inaugural speech.
Many renowned personalities including former Miss World and Bollywood actress Priyanka Chopra were present at the event to cheer the participants.
“The most important thing is that a large crowd has gathered to pay tribute to the martyrs. The time was extremely difficult for both Mumbai and India as militants terrorised us after intruding in our territory. It is good that such a large crowd has gathered to salute the martyrs after such an attack and thus reflect our unity,” said Priyanka Chopra.
Runners from Kenya, Tanzania, Ethiopia, Sweden, United Kingdom, South Africa, Ukraine and other parts of the globe participated in the marathon.
Suresh Kalmadi, President of the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) and Asian Athletics Association (AAF), and Athletics Federation of India (AFI), thanked the foreign athletes for participating in the solidarity run.
“I am happy that around 50,000 people have participated in this event. The most happening thing of the event is that 100 runners of international fame have participated in the event. I am also thankful to the locals of Pune for supplementing the spirit of this event,” Kalmadi said.
The prize money was of rupees 25 lakhs for different categories.(ANI)
- Nagpur International Marathon held to pay homage to Mahatma Gandhi - Jan 30, 2011
- Marathon lends colour, star power to Mumbai streets (Third Lead) - Jan 16, 2011
- Pune's Deepak Kumar wins Thane Varsha Marathon - Jul 24, 2011
- Over 30,000 expected to join Delhi half-marathon - Jul 06, 2012
- Mumbai Marathon begins amid tight security - Jan 16, 2011
- Good response for first Chandigarh marathon - Jan 31, 2010
- 30,000 expected to run in Delhi half-marathon - Nov 18, 2010
- Palestinians organise local marathon to reject Israeli one - Mar 19, 2012
- India's Ashis Roy, 78, completes 108th marathon - Apr 04, 2011
- Mumbai readies to kick off Marathon-2012 Sunday - Jan 14, 2012
- 10,000 run in Maharashtra marathon for girl child - Sep 18, 2011
- Ethiopians rule at Mumbai marathon (Second Lead) - Jan 16, 2011
- Over 5,000 athletes for Mombasa Marathon - Aug 24, 2012
- Marathon motivates people to be active: Delhi Lt. Governor - Nov 21, 2010
- Five fresh doping cases in athletics, IOA orders probe (Lead) - Jun 30, 2011
Tags: actress priyanka, asian athletics, athletic federation, bollywood actress, brave soldiers, inaugural speech, indian olympic association, international fame, international long distance, international marathon, ioa, lakhs, large crowd, long distance runners, miss world, national flag, parts of the globe, priyanka chopra, renowned personalities, tribute to the martyrs