Pune launches awareness drive against water pollutionNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:43 am ICT by admin
According to Jaldindi Pratisthan, a social organisation, about 150 members have been voluntarily participating in this clean up drive for the past five years.
After worshipping at the Sant Gyaneshwar Smadhi Sthal (a mausoleum), at Alandi village, the members of Jaldindi took out a palanquin displaying the message of environment on a 12-day voyage.
“We have come here to take care of the rivers and also to make the general public aware about it so that all our sources of water can be kept clean,” said Dr. Vishwas Yevle, President of the Jaldindi Pratisthan .
The expedition, covering various villages educating people along the way will conclude at Pandharpur, a revered place, located 65 km west of Sholapur, on the banks of the River Bhimarathi.
The drive will also use motor boats.
In Pune itself the drive is being carried on Pune’s river banks and lakes. The Jaldindi volunteers have collected a large amount of human bones, insect repellents, syringes, flowers, tonnes of non-degradable plastic and above all vast traces of oil, grease and odd chemicals.
Members of the Jaldindi appeal to the youth to come forward and join their drive for water cleaning since the positive results are long-term and meant for all.
“Today, the water in the rivers and lakes has become very dirty. The youth should come forward to prevent it. It is not just the duty of government but of all citizens .” said Sameer Nikam, a volunteer, Jaldindi Pratisthan.
Jaldindi Pratisthan has already covered rivers and lakes in the Pune-Satara-Solapur region.(ANI)
- Volunteers initiate campaign to clean water bodies at Alandi - Sep 29, 2009
- Srinagar authorities launch cleanliness drive at Chuntkul lake - Dec 22, 2010
- Greenpeace protests toxic pollution of Mexican waters - Mar 24, 2012
- What happened to money spent on Yamuna, ask activists - Aug 26, 2012
- Delhi students clean up Yamuna ahead of CWG (With Image) - Aug 22, 2010
- Nagin Lake to reclaim its glory soon - Apr 06, 2009
- Hundreds of eco-activists clean up Yamuna - Mar 18, 2012
- Cleaning of Naini Lake begins in Nainital - Aug 14, 2010
- 73 Mathura villages join battle against Yamuna pollution - Jan 10, 2011
- Nine die in Maharashtra accident - Jun 19, 2012
- Students organize Ganga cleaning drive in Varanasi - Nov 10, 2009
- Yamuna clean-up operation begins in Taj city - Apr 20, 2012
- China gets $800 mn loan to clean up lake - Dec 20, 2011
- Students, activists join hand to clean Yamuna River in Agra - Feb 07, 2010
- Art of Living volunteers team up to clean river Yamuna - Mar 24, 2010
Tags: awareness, degradable plastic, human bones, insect repellents, motor boats, oil grease, palanquin, pandharpur, pune, river banks, rivers and lakes, satara, social organisation, solapur, sources of water, sthal, water pollution