Public education a must to prevent female foeticide, says Krishna TirathMay 30th, 2009 - 11:43 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, May 30 (ANI): Union Minister for Women and Child Development Krishna Tirath on Saturday said she would rectify any lacuna in the laws to check the menace of female foeticide in the country.
Tirath, after assuming charge of her assigned ministry in the capital on Saturday, said: “To rectify domestic violence and female foeticide…you know there are a number of legislations to curb this practice, if a lacuna is found, it will be rectified. We can stop the cases of female foeticide through educating the masses,” said Krishna Tirath.
Activists say female foeticide is rising because of the availability of technologies like ultrasonography and amniocentesis to determine the gender of foetuses at the request of the parents.
As against the compilations of statistics, Krishna Tirath in her role as a Minister of Women and Child Development is determined to mend the legal discrepancies, if any. (ANI)
- 'Urgent need to restore gender balance in J&K;' - Jul 22, 2012
- Government will rectify laws for women and child development: Tirath - May 30, 2009
- Anand Jon's sister lends support to save girl child campaign in India - Oct 14, 2009
- Fourth foetus found in Jaipur - Mar 31, 2012
- Government will rectify laws for women and child development: Tirath (Lead) - May 30, 2009
- Advisory board on pre-natal tests re-jigged - Apr 09, 2011
- Haryana takes another step to stop female foeticide - May 09, 2012
- Haryana introduces mother-new born tracking software - Jul 03, 2011
- Fight against gender selection will be renewed: Tirath - Jan 22, 2010
- Now, Maharashtra seeks Aamir's support for girl child - May 11, 2012
- Cradle in every village - to save the girl child (With Images) - May 24, 2011
- Two female foetuses recovered in Rajasthan - Nov 06, 2011
- Focus on girl child lost with ad faux pas: Women activists - Jan 24, 2010
- NCW conducting study on honour killings - Aug 06, 2010
- Maharashtra orders crackdown on illegal sex tests - Jun 07, 2012
Tags: activists, amniocentesis, child development, compilations, discrepancies, domestic violence, female foeticide, foetuses, krishna, legislations, New Delhi, parents, public education, statistics, ultrasonography, union minister