Protests continue over Shopian incident in KashmirJune 23rd, 2009 - 10:10 pm ICT by ANI
Srinagar, June 23 (ANI): Activists of Jammu Kashmir Peoples Freedom League took to streets here on Tuesday staging protest against the alleged rape and murder of two Kashmiri women at Shopian area last month.
Scores of activists of Jammu Kashmir Peoples Freedom League on Tuesday gathered at city’s main Lal Chowk and started moving towards the United Nations to submit a memorandum about human right violation in the valley.
Protestors were also demanding the withdrawal of security forces from Kashmir.
“We demand that those responsible for the incident (Shopian incident) must be punished, these types of incidents have happened earlier also and these incidents will continue to take place as long as the security forces are empowered with the special laws. We demand the United Nations and the Indian government that the security forces be withdrawn from the valley,” Nisar Ahmad, an Activist Jammu Kashmir Peoples Freedom League told media on the sidelines of the protest.
The police prevented them from moving towards the UN office.
The disputed Himalayan region witnessed a series of violent protests and demonstrations over the alleged rape and murder of two Muslim women in Shopian town, 60 kilometres south of Srinagar last month.
Two protesters have died and hundreds injured in clashes with the police. (ANI)
- Protest continue in Kashmir over the death of two women - Jun 17, 2009
- Five injured in Kashmir firing, interlocutors visit Shopian (Roundup) - Oct 26, 2010
- PDP protests price rise, shopian report in Jammu and Kashmir - Dec 17, 2009
- JKLF members clash with police in Srinagar - Feb 10, 2012
- Protest over Yaseen Malik's arrest turns violent in Jammu and Kashmir - Apr 29, 2011
- Kashmiri woman alleges rape by army men - Jul 22, 2011
- Protests hit normal life, business in Kashmir - Jun 03, 2009
- Shutdown on JKLF founder's death anniversary - Feb 11, 2012
- Separatist shutdown mars life in Kashmir - Jul 28, 2012
- Army orders probe into rape allegations by Kashmir woman (Second Lead) - Jul 22, 2011
- Yasin Malik, legislator arrested in Srinagar during protests - Dec 10, 2011
- Woman alleges rape by army men, Omar promises action (Lead) - Jul 22, 2011
- Hazare turning blind eye to corruption in Kashmir: Mehbooba - Oct 07, 2011
- Prayers for peace as summer beckons tourists to Kashmir - May 22, 2011
- Interlocutors visiting Shopian in south Kashmir - Oct 26, 2010
Tags: activists, chowk, clashes, freedom league, himalayan region, indian government, jammu kashmir, kashmir, kashmiri women, kilometres, lal, memorandum, muslim women, nisar ahmad, protesters, protestors, security forces, sidelines, srinagar, violent protests