Protesting teachers baton-charged by police in LucknowFebruary 12th, 2009 - 10:46 pm ICT by ANI
Lucknow, Feb 12, (ANI): Thousands of teachers and employees of non-aided schools across the State who reached here to launch protests demanding higher salaries were baton-charged by the police.
Over 100 teachers gathered outside the Raj Bhawan to take part in the demonstration.
For a long time, the teachers have been waging a war demanding the Government to increase their salaries.
A protestor Sitaram Singh Yadav said, We had gathered here today asking the Government to fulfill our demands. Earlier we had staged a demo and the Government had given us a month’’s time but since none from the Government initiated to talk to us, we were forced to take to streets today again.
The teachers were baton-charged by the police, when the latter tried stop the protesters from moving ahead with their march.
However, Senior Superintendent of Police Raghubeer Lal said, They abused the policemen and when we tried to remove them, they refused to budge, so we had to resort to baton charging to disperse the mob.
Several protestors were injured during the incident.
Teachers and employees of the non-aided schools are demanding a fixed salary of nearly Rs. 5,000. This time, they are getting a monthly honorarium of Rs.500-1,500. Although recognized by the UP education board, the non-aided schools are not entitled for any regular financial grant from the state government. (ANI)
- Protesting teachers baton-charged by police in Lucknow - Feb 12, 2009
- Aspiring teachers baton-charged in Lucknow - Nov 21, 2011
- Teachers clash with police in Lucknow, 30 injured - Sep 14, 2010
- Seven injured as police baton-charge protesting students - Jun 29, 2010
- Students demand teachers for their school in Srinagar - Mar 22, 2012
- BJP, police clash again at Jantar Mantar (Lead) - Aug 12, 2011
- Protesting teachers baton-charged in Lucknow - Jan 21, 2010
- PDP supporters slam Abdullah Govt. over inflation - Jan 04, 2011
- Mixed response to ABVP Jharkhand strike - Jul 02, 2010
- ABVP stages shutdown to protest police baton-charge in Jharkhand - Jul 02, 2010
- Protest over Yaseen Malik's arrest turns violent in Jammu and Kashmir - Apr 29, 2011
- Aspirant cops demand Bihar Govt.'s enquiry in selection process - Dec 20, 2010
- Telangana protestors attack Hyderabad college - Oct 10, 2011
- ABVP protests commercialisation of education in Ahmedabad - Sep 16, 2010
- Mizoram school teachers not getting salaries - Apr 09, 2012
Tags: demonstration, education board, honorarium, lal, long time, lucknow, mob, policemen, protesters, protestor, protestors, protests, raj bhawan, rs 500, salaries, salary, state government, superintendent, waging a war, yadav