Protest over death of two Kashmiri women continues in valley, PDP suggests FIRJune 5th, 2009 - 9:33 pm ICT by ANI
Srinagar, June 5(ANI): Jammu and Kashmir Police resorted to baton charge and fired tear gas shells to quell agitated people, who pelted stones at them while protesting the death of two women allegedly by some security personnel here on Friday.
The protest on its fifth day today saw an angry mob sloganeering and demanding action against the culprits.
Meanwhile, former militant leader Yasin Malik and head of the Jammu Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF), was arrested during the protest.
Local residents alleged that two women had been abducted, raped and killed by security forces on Friday in Shopian town of Srinagar.
However, authorities have denied the killing and said that they had drowned in a stream.
Jammu and Kashmir’s chief minister, Omar Abdullah, has ordered a judicial inquiry into the deaths.
Meanwhile, the People’s Democratic Party President Mehbooba Mufti on Friday suggested registration of a “rape and murder” FIR in the mysterious deaths of two women in Shopian could help in easing the current situation in the Kashmir valley.
“Unless an FIR of rape and murder is filed, the situation will not improve and entire response by the government on the issue will continue to look dubious,” PDP president Mehbooba Mufti told mediapersons.
Mehbooba said that the government should direct police officers of Shopian district to file the case and make the report of post-mortem of the victims public. (ANI)
- Yasin Malik detained again, 80 injured in Kashmir clashes (Lead) - Jun 06, 2009
- Ruckus in Kashmir assembly over cricket scam - Mar 13, 2012
- Hazare turning blind eye to corruption in Kashmir: Mehbooba - Oct 07, 2011
- Kashmiri woman alleges rape by army men - Jul 22, 2011
- National Conference worker's death rocks Kashmir assembly (Roundup) - Oct 03, 2011
- Mehbooba Mufti, Geelani under house arrest in Srinagar - Jul 31, 2011
- PDP to vote for Afzal Guru clemency resolution - Sep 23, 2011
- Stones pelted at PDP leaders in Sopore - Aug 02, 2011
- Yasin Malik, supporters arrested in Srinagar (Lead) - Sep 30, 2011
- PDP demands CBI probe into Kashmir's cricket scam - Mar 12, 2012
- Protests in Srinagar after woman's death - Sep 29, 2011
- Shopian rape case: Lawyers forum demands probe - Dec 19, 2009
- JKLF protests Kashmir 'killings, arrests', Malik detained - Mar 11, 2011
- Interlocutors visiting Shopian in south Kashmir - Oct 26, 2010
- Autonomy cannot solve Kashmir issue: Mehbooba Mufti - Aug 12, 2010
Tags: angry mob, chief minister, culprits, fifth day, fir, gas shells, jammu kashmir, jklf, judicial inquiry, kashmir, kashmir valley, kashmiri women, liberation front, mehbooba mufti, militant leader, mysterious deaths, party president, pdp, post mortem, security personnel