Protest against religious ceremony of Dera Sacha Sauda sect in JalandharJune 1st, 2009 - 1:39 pm ICT by ANI
Jalandhar, June 1 (ANI): Members of the Sikh community staged a mass protest against a congregation of the Dera Sacha Sauda sect here on Sunday.
Trouble began when a follower of Dera Sacha Sauda sect, which combines social work with spirituality, organised special prayers function for their Dera chief.
As the news of this prayer congregation spread, hundreds of Sikhs from various organisations reached the venue and forcibly stopped the ceremony.
Angry protestors raised slogans and set afire tyres and effigy of the Dera sect chief.
Protestors demanded that the government must stop the sect and its followers from observing such events.”We demand that the Punjab government must stop the Dera Saccha Sauda sect and its followers from organising such events since this may lead to violence,” said Sarabjeet Singh, a protestor.
Meanwhile, the police rushed to the spot to avert any untoward incident.
“We are taking precautionary measures to prevent any untoward incident. The situation is already tense and we are urging to solve the issue through talks,” said Sarbjeet Singh, Station House Officer of a Police Station in Jalandhar. (ANI)
- Punjab town tense after Sikh group-Dera followers clash - Mar 08, 2011
- Tension in Punjab district after clash - Jan 16, 2011
- Curfew imposed in Punjab town after clashes - Jan 02, 2011
- Dera case: Court rejects police cancellation report - Apr 03, 2012
- Curfew continues for second day in Mansa district in Punjab - Jan 03, 2011
- Punjab town curfew enters third day, relaxed briefly - Jan 04, 2011
- Security tight in Haryana following Sikh sect protest - Feb 28, 2010
- Dera Sacha Sauda not allowed to hold congregation - Sep 03, 2009
- Five women killed in Dera Sacha Sauda gathering - Apr 30, 2010
- Five women killed in Haryana stampede (Second Lead) - Apr 30, 2010
- Nothing wrong in seeking votes from sects: Amarinder - May 14, 2011
- Security tightened in Punjab following Dera Sacha Sauda protest - Mar 01, 2010
- Punjab turns violent as Dera sect followers torch vehicles, properties - Feb 28, 2010
- Amid tension, Dera congregation is peaceful (Roundup) - Feb 28, 2010
- Day-to-day hearing of Dera chief's rape case - Sep 28, 2011
Tags: dera sacha sauda sect, follower, followers, house officer, jalandhar, mass protest, police station, prayers, precautionary measures, protestor, protestors, punjab government, religious ceremony, sikh community, sikhs, slogans, social work, spirituality, station house, untoward incident