Proposal to provide Visa-on-arrival to foreign touristsMay 22nd, 2009 - 6:49 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, 22 May (ANI): Foreign tourists may soon find it easy to get an Indian visa as the Tourism Ministry is working on a proposal to grant Visa-on-Arrival facility.
This suggestion has been made to boost the tourism sector in India. The proposal would soon be placed before the union cabinet. Primarily, the scheme would be launched as a pilot project for five years.
According to a senior tourism ministry official, “We are preparing a proposal for the provision of Visa-on-Arrival and we hope that new minister will put the matter before the cabinet.”
This Visa-on-Arrival facility will only be extended to tourists who are coming from countries, which are providing similar facility to Indian tourists. At the moment, the count is of about 60 countries.
Along with this, the government is also working on ensuring safety of tourists in the country as cases of crime against foreign tourist have been reported on a regular basis.
“Security is important with tourists and we are also working on a proposal to raise tourist security force in the country,” the official said. Under this initiative, central government will team up with state governments and provide trained tourist security force. (ANI)
- Government mulling visa-on-arrival scheme for 10 more countries - Sep 07, 2012
- Myanmar to introduce e-visa system - Feb 01, 2012
- Myanmar, Indonesian tourists to get visa on arrival - Jan 25, 2011
- Nepal to introduce new visa regime - Aug 25, 2012
- 790 tourists availed visa on arrival in January - Feb 09, 2011
- Advance Passenger Information System in six international airports: Govt - Nov 30, 2010
- India starts visa-on-arrival for 5 countries - Jan 01, 2010
- Malaysian Govt looking at holistic solution for 'missing' Indians - Jan 15, 2010
- Goa tourism hopes for Japanese boost - Dec 27, 2010
- Stringent visa norms hurting Goa's tourism prospects - Jan 16, 2011
- Malaysia scraps visa on arrival facility for Indians, Chinese - Aug 03, 2010
- India to issue 'visa-on-arrival' to tourists from five countries - Dec 17, 2009
- Major push to tourism planned - Aug 16, 2012
- New rules for tourist visa to 'curb misuse' - Jan 13, 2011
- Agra may soon get international air terminal - Jun 09, 2012
Tags: central government, India, indian tourists, indian visa, initiative, ministry official, New Delhi, pilot project, preparing a proposal, provision, security force, state governments, suggestion, tourism ministry, tourism sector, union cabinet, visa on arrival