Property rights to be given to urban poor under ‘Rajiv Awas Yojana’October 28th, 2010 - 8:03 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Oct.28 (ANI): Union Minister of Tourism, Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation Kumari Selja said a new initiative called ‘Rajiv Awas Yojana’ would be introduced where property rights will be given to the urban poor.
Addressing a seminar on ‘Innovative Building Technologies for Affordable Mass Housing’ here on Thursday, Selja said: “After the Jawahar Lal Nehru Mission, the Government has put in a lot of effort in the urban sector especially for the challenges facing the urban poor.”
“We are coming out with a new initiative called Rajiv Awas Yojana which will be a step ahead of the Jawahar Lal Nehru Mission. Here we are talking about giving property rights to the urban poor and having a whole city approach,” she added.
International Council for Research and Innovation in Building and Construction (CIB) president, John McCarthy, and CIB Secretary General Dr. Wim Bakens, were also present at the seminar.
Selja underlined the importance of working together of the government and private sector in creating Housing facilities for the urban poor.
“We are facing a big problem which the Government cannot tackle alone. This is important that we create housing facilities because the population is increasing. The role of private sector is also increasing and we need a strong partnership between the government and the private sector,” said Selja.
“Even they need to create affordable housing facilities and help the Government and we find a solution to this problem together,” she added.
The Rajiv Awas Yojana plans to uplift the slums and rehabilitate the urban poor. (ANI)
- Bengal plans more affordable houses for poor (Lead, correcting para one) - Aug 18, 2012
- Bengal plans more affordable houses for poor - Aug 18, 2012
- Plan to provide cheap houses to urban poor - Sep 28, 2011
- India plans better housing facilities for urban poor - Jul 30, 2011
- Cabinet approves slum development in 250 cities (Lead) - Jun 02, 2011
- PM mulls Rs.1,000 crore corpus for housing poor - Dec 13, 2011
- Use incentives to build affordable housing: Minister - Feb 28, 2011
- Involve people in public-private-partnership model: Selja - Sep 13, 2012
- Real estate regulator bill will improve transparency: Selja - Nov 04, 2011
- Use incentives to build affordable housing: Selja (Lead) - Feb 28, 2011
- Housing deficit cannot be addressed by budgetary support: Kumari Selja - Oct 04, 2010
- New housing scheme to make India slum free: Selja - Jul 01, 2009
- India's urban poor worse off than rural poor: Poverty Allevation Minister (Interview) - Sep 13, 2010
- Legislation in offing for street vendors - Nov 11, 2011
- New approach needed towards urban planning, says minister - Dec 14, 2011
Tags: affordable housing, awas, cib, jawahar lal nehru, john mccarthy, lal, minister of tourism, New Delhi, poverty alleviation, president john, private sector, rajiv, secretary general, slums, union minister, uplift, urban poverty, urban sector, wim, yojana