Probe ordered into ‘civilian killing’ by army in JammuMay 8th, 2009 - 7:13 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, May 8 (IANS) The government Friday ordered a judicial probe into an allegation that army men killed a civilian in Jammu region’s mountainous Doda district Thursday night, officials said Friday. The army said the villager was caught in a crossfire with militants.
According to the police, residents of Chalota village in Doda, about 170 km from here, filed a complaint that Mohammad Sadiq, a civilian, was killed by army when they had laid an ambush for militants in the area.
Abdul Majid Wani, a legislator of Doda, told IANS that Sadiq was returning home late after his treatment in Doda “when army troops shot him dead”.
He added: “I personally knew Mohammad Sadiq. He was an innocent civilian.”
After protests by villagers, the government ordered a probe into the incident by the additional deputy commissioner of Doda.
Army officials said Sadiq was caught in a crossfire between the security forces and militants.
“He (Sadiq) got hit in the crossfire between the army and terrorists. The police are probing the matter,” an army official said.
He said the gun battle with militants took place at 11.45 Thursday night.
- Top Hizbul commander killed in Kashmir gunfight - Oct 08, 2011
- Antony orders probe into Kashmir youth's killing - Jul 26, 2012
- Woman killed, 17 hurt in Jammu terror attack (Second Lead) - Aug 11, 2010
- Hizbul Mujahideen militant arrested in Jammu region - May 16, 2012
- Slain Kashmir youth was militant, reiterates army - Jul 26, 2012
- Villagers protest killing of a man in crossfire - Jan 24, 2010
- Antony orders probe into Kashmir youth's killing (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- Two families claim kinship to slain mentally deranged youth - Aug 13, 2011
- 6 dead, 1,200 sick as diarrhoea hits Doda in Jammu region - Aug 29, 2010
- Army to conduct own probe into Kashmir ambush killing - Feb 07, 2011
- What could have been Omar's 'suggestion'? - Feb 05, 2011
- Separatist leaders put under house arrest in Srinagar - Jul 27, 2012
- Omar in Baramulla to assess fallout of CISF firing - Jan 03, 2012
- Kashmir youth no longer swayed by militancy, says police - Mar 10, 2012
- Abdullah visits bereaved family, condoles youth's death (Second Lead) - Feb 05, 2011
Tags: allegation, army men, army official, army officials, army troops, crossfire, deputy commissioner, doda district, gun battle, innocent civilian, jammu, judicial probe, legislator, majid, militants, mohammad, returning home, sadiq, security forces, villager