Pro-Telangana activists arrested during “Million March to Hyderabad” agitationMarch 10th, 2011 - 6:58 pm ICT by ANI
Hyderabad, Mar 10(ANI): Hyderabad Police on Thursday arrested pro-Telangana leaders of the Telugu Desam Party (TDP), the Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS)and the Bharatiya Janata Party(BJP) as they took part in the “Million March to Hyderabad” agitation.
Telangana Joint Action Committee (JAC) has called for the agitation to press the demand for introducing a bill in the Parliament for a separate state Telangana to be carved out of Andhra Pradesh.
The State police had not given permission for the protest march. The paramilitary forces were deployed in Hyderabad and Secunderabad to quell the agitation.
The Telangana political Joint Action Committee (JAC) Convener M. Kodandaram has been detained.
Pro-Telangana activists attacked Congress MP Keshava Rao’s car during the agitation.
Security arrangements had also been stepped up at the Assembly building as it was in session.
The Telangana Rastra Samithi (TRS), Communist Party of India (CPI) and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) have extended support to the march.
The demand for a separate Telangana state has seen violent protests, with more than 300 people killed between 1969 and 1972. (ANI)
- Security beefed up in Telangana, ahead of 'million march' - Mar 10, 2011
- Telangana leaders arrested for road blockades in Hyderabad - Sep 28, 2011
- JAC calls for Telangana shutdown Friday - Jul 21, 2011
- Blockade brings Telangana train traffic to a standstill (Lead) - Jul 14, 2011
- Telangana rail blockade to hit movement of trains - Jul 13, 2011
- 147 trains cancelled in view of Telangana blockade (Lead) - Jul 13, 2011
- Telangana supporters disrupt train traffic (Second Lead) - Mar 01, 2011
- Telangana supporters paralyse rail traffic for separate state (Third Lead) - Mar 01, 2011
- Hyderabad, other parts of Telangana hit by rail blockade (Lead) - Mar 01, 2011
- Telangana demand picks up momentum again - Sep 05, 2012
- Telangana protests hit road transport, hundreds detained - Jan 17, 2011
- As 'people's strike' weakens, Congress faces Telangana groups' ire - Oct 18, 2011
- Protesters demanding Telangana block rail traffic - Mar 01, 2011
- Telangana movement set to enter crucial phase - Jun 30, 2011
- JAC calls for two-day Telangana shutdown - Jul 04, 2011
Tags: action committee, agitation, andhra pradesh, bharatiya janata party, bjp, communist party of india, convener, CPI, jac, keshava, paramilitary forces, protest march, rao, secunderabad, security arrangements, state police, telangana leaders, telugu desam party, trs, violent protests