Priyabhanshu Ranjan’s family demands CBI probe into Nirupama Pathak death caseMay 10th, 2010 - 10:49 pm ICT by ANI
Ranchi (Jharkhand), May 10 (ANI): Family of Priyabhanshu Ranjan, the boyfriend of Delhi-based journalist Nirupama Pathak, who was found dead in mysterious circumstances at her home in Jharkhand’s Koderma District on April 29, demanded a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) inquiry into the incident on Monday.
“We are filing a criminal writ petition in the High Court. The investigation that is going on is contradictory on the basis of two FIRs. Priyabhanshu wants that case should be handed over to the CBI for proper and complete investigation,” said Rajiv Kumar, advocate of Priyabhanshu Ranjan and his family.
The advocate also claimed that they were about to get married, but the girl’s family did not approve of their relationship.
“They were about to get married. The wedding was arranged on 6th of March. Father of the girl sent a letter on 2nd March. He has written so many things that show that their mentality is of 16th century,” said Kumar.
On April 9, Priyabhanshu Ranjan’s parents claimed to have mobile proof that could nail the complicity of her parents in what they say is murder.In a startling claim, Priyabhanshu’s father said he had Nirupama’s last SMS in which she said that she had been locked inside a bathroom and was not being allowed to go out.
He also said that a similar message had come from his son, who was in Delhi.
The revelation came Koderma Police served notices to the three doctors who performed a post mortem on Nirupama Pathak.
On Saturday, students of the Indian Institute of Mass Communication (IIMC) organised a candlelight vigil in New Delhi to seek justice for Nirupama.
Following a Jharkhand court directive, the state police had lodged a complaint against Priyabhanshu.The court directed the police to file a First Information Report (FIR) against Ranjan, following charges levelled by Nirupama’s arrested mother Subha Pathak.
Taking cognizance of Subha Pathak’s petition, the Chief Judicial Magistrate N K Agarwal has asked Tilaya Police to file the FIR under IPC Sections 306 (abetment to suicide), 376 (rape), 506 (criminal intimidation) and 420 (cheating) against Priyabhanshu Ranjan.
Nirupama’s mother has described her daughter’ death as a suicide case.
However, the post-mortem report revealed that Pathak died due to asphyxia as a result of smothering. A 10 to 12 week-old foetus was also found during the autopsy.
Suspecting the death to be a case of honour killing, the police had arrested Subha. (ANI)
- Jharkhand, Delhi Police quiz Nirupama, Priyabhanshu's friends - May 08, 2010
- Nirupama Pathak's clothes to undergo forensic tests in Ranchi - May 11, 2010
- Nirupama's boyfriend moves high court for CBI probe - May 10, 2010
- Jharkhand police to question scribe's fiancé, friends - May 06, 2010
- Scribe's death: Jharkhand court orders filing of report against Priyabhanshu - May 07, 2010
- Jharkhand court denies bail to Nirupama Pathak's mother - May 16, 2010
- No anticipatory bail for dead scribe's boyfriend, brother - Mar 30, 2011
- Dead Delhi scribe's lover surrenders in Jharkhand - Jun 05, 2012
- Nirupama Pathak's post-mortem report indicates murder: Jharkhand DGP - May 13, 2010
- Nirupama's boyfriend charged with rape, abetting suicide - May 08, 2010
- Police told to file FIR against slain scribe's boyfriend - May 07, 2010
- Court allows grilling of dead scribe's mother in jail - May 14, 2010
- Candlelight vigil to seek justice for Nirupama - May 07, 2010
- Slain Delhi scribe's mother appeals for bail - May 13, 2010
- Slain scribe's boyfriend quizzed, case filed against him (Lead) - May 07, 2010
Tags: 16th century, candlelight vigil, cbi inquiry, cbi probe, central bureau of investigation, cognizance, complicity, court directive, death case, iimc, indian institute of mass communication, information report, jharkhand, mysterious circumstances, post mortem, rajiv kumar, ranjan, startling claim, state police, writ petition