Prithviraj Chavan takes oath as Maharashtra CM, Pawar as Deputy CMNovember 11th, 2010 - 6:15 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, Nov 11 (ANI): Former Minister of State for Science and Technology Prithviraj Chavan was on Thursday sworn-in as the 22nd Chief Minister of Maharashtra, while Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) leader Ajit Pawar took oath as Deputy Chief Minister.
Maharashtra Governor K Sankaranarayanan administered the oath of office and secrecy to them at the Raj Bhawan.
Both Chavan and Pawar met Governor Sankaranarayanan late on Wednesday night and staked a claim to form the new Government in the State.
After his meeting with the Governor, Chavan told reporters that he has the support of 170 MLAs in the 288-strong assembly.
“The Governor has invited me to form the next government,” he said.
Chavan’s name was formally announced after he met Congress President Sonia Gandhi at her 10 Janpath residence on Wednesday.
Chavan held several key assignments in the Union Cabinet.
He was closely involved in the passage of the Indo-US nuclear deal, was monitoring important Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) cases and was currently Minister of State not only in the PMO, but also in the Science and Technology, Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions and Parliamentary Affairs ministries.
Chavan (64) has won three Lok Sabha elections from Karad in Maharashtra’s Satara District.
He became a Rajya Sabha MP in 2002. (ANI)
- Prithviraj Chavan to take oath as Maharashtra CM - Nov 11, 2010
- Prithviraj Chavan meets Ashok Chavan ahead of swearing-in-ceremony - Nov 11, 2010
- Sharad Pawar supports Prithviraj Chavan as Maharashtra Chief Minister - Nov 10, 2010
- Ajit Pawar denies rift with former Maharashtra Deputy CM Bhujbal - Nov 11, 2010
- Prithviraj Chavan to be new Maharashtra Chief Minister - Nov 10, 2010
- Congress took right decision in choosing Chavan to lead Maharashtra: Deshmukh - Nov 10, 2010
- Sankaranarayanan to be sworn-in for second term as Maharashtra governor - May 05, 2012
- Chavan stakes claim, swearing in Thursday (Lead) - Nov 11, 2010
- Prithviraj Chavan, Ajit Pawar brace for Maharashtra innings (Night Lead) - Nov 11, 2010
- Prithviraj Chavan: Aerospace engineer who became a politician (Lead, Profile) - Nov 10, 2010
- Jostling for cabinet berths in Mumbai ahead of swearing-in - Nov 11, 2010
- Maharashtra Cabinet expanded to 31 ministers - Nov 19, 2010
- Prithviraj Chavan to stake claim - Nov 10, 2010
- Prithviraj Chavan: low-profile technocrat is new man for Maharashtra (Profile) - Nov 10, 2010
- Maharashtra opposition members meet governor - Aug 12, 2011
Tags: ajit pawar, central bureau of investigation, chavan, chief minister of maharashtra, congress president sonia gandhi, deputy chief minister, karad, lok sabha elections, minister of state, mlas, nationalist congress party, nuclear deal, oath of office, parliamentary affairs, pmo, public grievances, raj bhawan, rajya sabha, satara district, union cabinet