Prince Harry wants to ride the dragon to get back to the frontlineOctober 27th, 2008 - 1:54 pm ICT by ANI
London, October 27 (ANI): Prince Harry, who is attempting to qualify for training as a pilot in the British Army, wants to ride the dragon the Armys meanest and toughest attack helicopter.
The 24-year-old, who was pulled out from the Afghan War after the media revealed his presence, is ambitious about making a comeback on the frontline by hoping to train for the Apache death machine.
Lieutenant Wales, who served 77 days during the war torn Afghanistan, seeks to fly the 46 million pound British Apache AH Mk1, the most technically advanced attack helicopter in history while being the toughest to control as well.
Aspiring Apache pilots, who have penned the merciless helicopter gunships as riding the dragon, claimed that they were giants to handle since they required very high levels of skill, concentration, and co-ordination.
If you get something wrong and irritate the machine, it turns around and bites you. Thats why its called riding the dragon, the Sun quoted an ex-Apache pilot, author Ed Macy, as saying.
To master the Apache, you have to eat, sleep and breathe it. Prince Harry will have to work 14 hours a day, every day, and even then he could fail the course at any time.
Hats off to him for giving it a go. Hes clearly a very brave and ambitious young man, he added.
Harry is said to have taken the decision to take to the skies after realising that his royal blood made him the perfect bomb magnet that could add to the risk of attacks to his comrades.
According to the official statement issued by the young royals rep, Harry had already passed the preliminary Pilot Aptitude Tests at RAF Cranwell earlier in October, and once completely qualified will start his flying training in January 2009. (ANI)
- Prince Harry to train in US as chopper pilot - Aug 30, 2011
- Prince Harry qualifies as an elite Apache helicopter pilot - Mar 10, 2011
- Prince Harry faces night flying challenge as a pilot - Oct 25, 2010
- Prince Harry qualifies as attack chopper pilot - Feb 09, 2012
- Harry gets trained for hostage situation - Jan 31, 2012
- Prince Harry to return to Afghan combat duty - Jun 16, 2011
- Prince Harry qualifies as Apache pilot, can return to Afghanistan frontline - Mar 10, 2011
- Prince Harry Earns Wings! Chosen To Fly Apache Attack Helicopters - May 07, 2010
- Prince Harry to learn how to fight in Apache helicopter - Mar 13, 2011
- Prince Harry to earn danger money in Afghanistan - Sep 10, 2012
- Prince Harry chooses to fly Apache attack helicopters - May 07, 2010
- Prince Harry hones his flying skills on a computer game - Oct 29, 2008
- Britain to sack nearly 100 air force trainee pilots - Feb 14, 2011
- Prince Harry takes first flying lesson - Nov 19, 2008
- Prince Harry's Afghanistan dreams 'smashed' - Nov 29, 2009
Tags: afghan war, armys, attack helicopter, british army, comrades, death machine, frontline, helicopter gunships, lieutenant, macy, october 27, ordination, perfect bomb, pilot aptitude tests, prince harry, raf, realising, riding the dragon, royal blood, young royals