Prince Charles to read Queen’s message, President Patil to deliver CWG opening addressOctober 3rd, 2010 - 12:10 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Oct 3 (ANI): The Prince of Wales, Prince Charles, will read out the Queen’s message and President Pratiba Devisingh Patil will deliver an address to signal the commencement of the XIX Commonwealth Games at Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, the main venue of the 2010 Games, during the opening ceremony to be held here on Sunday.
The Queen’s baton that continued its journey through all the important places including the Games Village, will reach its final destination, the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium here today.
Prince Charles will receive the Baton and will read the Queen’s message on this occasion. President Patil will deliver an address to signal the commencement of the Games.
The opening ceremony will begin at 6: 30 p.m. with hosts of the previous edition of the Games in 2006 Australia, leading the march past followed by other countries in alphabetical order, while hosts India will be at the last with Olympic gold medalist Abhinav Bhindra being its flag bearer.
The two-hour cultural extravaganza will highlight the rhythms and ragas of India and would be performed by over 7,000 artistes including the top names from the Indian music industry including Oscar winning music director A.R. Rahman and singer cum composer Shankar Mahadevan.
The highlight of the opening of the games will be an Aerostate that prop-up images of leaders, important monuments and themes representing various periods in the Indian history.
The security around the 41 Games venues has been tightened and over 80,000 policemen have been deployed for the purpose. (ANI)
- Prince Charles to read Queen's message, President Patil to deliver address to signal opening of CWG - Oct 02, 2010
- Unprecedented security in Delhi ahead of CWG opening ceremony - Oct 03, 2010
- President Patil inaugurates 2010 C'wealth Games with Prince Charles - Oct 03, 2010
- Sushil hands over Baton to Prince Charles - Oct 03, 2010
- India begins medal chase after CWG opening ceremony - Oct 04, 2010
- Delhi CWG will be experience of a lifetime: Prince Charles (Lead) - Oct 03, 2010
- Petroleum Ministry to reward and Indian sportsperson for winning medal in 2010 CWG - Oct 03, 2010
- Deafening roar greets Indian contingent at CWG opener (Second Lead) - Oct 04, 2010
- Charles, Patil to open Games, Delhi under security cover (Night Lead Games) - Oct 01, 2010
- President Patil should declare Games open: Malhotra - Sep 30, 2010
- President, Prince Charles to inaugurate Games - Oct 01, 2010
- Delhi CWG hailed for 'historic' decision to allow athletes to watch opening ceremony - Sep 30, 2010
- Horses, vintage cars lead CWG baton relay (Afternoon Lead Games) - Oct 02, 2010
- Standing ovation, deafening roar greet India (Lead) - Oct 03, 2010
- Tennis: Bopanna, Sanjeev lose to Rodionova, Hanley of Australia - Oct 04, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,