Prime Minister’’s wife releases Khushwant Singh’’s bookDecember 21st, 2008 - 12:37 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Dec 21 (ANI): Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh’’s wife, Gurusharan Kaur released writer Khushwant Singh’’s English rendering of Sikh hymns here last evening.
The book “Songs Of The Gurus” is a compilation of Gurubanis, or Sikh religious verses. “This book is about the translations of Gurubanis into English poetry, which I am familiar with,” Kaur said while releasing the book.
Khushwant Singh said that it was a compilation of his old translations.
“This is a collection of my old translations. I continued them doing off and on, it’’s a compilation,” he said.
Khushwant Singh is a renowned Indian novelist, journalist and historian, acclaimed for his sarcastic writing.
India conferred him with the civilian honour Padma Bhushan in 1974, which he gave back a decade later in protest against the 1984 siege on the Golden Temple in Amritsar.
His best known literary works include novels Train to Pakistan (a novel based on the India-Pakistan partition) and “In the Company of Women. (ANI)
- Indian bookscape: New sensibilities emerging in literary translation - Feb 12, 2012
- (After 11) Literature scene in India at a glance (To go with Literature: 2010 in Retrospect) - Dec 24, 2010
- Poetry and culture highlight of India Hay Festival - Nov 09, 2011
- From translation screens to ACs, gurdwaras go hi-tech (Feature) - May 02, 2012
- Music, calligraphy, poetry in Vikram Seth's new work - Mar 17, 2012
- Poetry of truth prospers in India's lifestyle angst - Nov 02, 2011
- English translations of Tagore's works a mouse click away - May 08, 2011
- At 96, Khushwant Singh pens new book - Nov 26, 2010
- Translating 'Zafarnama' was difficult: Navtej Sarna (With Images) - Mar 08, 2011
- Opening up a treasure trove of Punjabi literature - Feb 22, 2012
- Tharoor celebrates 21 years of 'The Great Indian Novel' - Mar 06, 2011
- '...Best of Khushwant Singh' returns in new avatar - Aug 21, 2011
- Revered but not read, is Tagore reserve of the purist? - May 10, 2011
- Sikhism's spiritual high seat: Journeying through Anandpur Sahib (With Image) - Dec 26, 2010
- Pritish Nandy returns to poetry after 25 years - Jan 28, 2011
Tags: bhushan, company of women, compilation, dr manmohan singh, english poetry, golden temple, gurus, historian, honour, hymns, india pakistan, indian novelist, journalist, khushwant singh, manmohan, manmohan singh, New Delhi, partition, prime minister, train to pakistan