Prime Minister reviews relief and rehabilitation work in flood hit BiharSeptember 12th, 2008 - 10:57 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi , Sept 12 (ANI): Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh today reviewed the relief and rehabilitation efforts in the Flood hit Bihar at a high level meeting here.
Meanwhile Bihar has demanded over 8900 crore rupees for rehabilitation, construction and repair of the infrastructure damaged in the floods.
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar who met the Prime Minister on Friday also wanted him to take up with the Nepalese Prime Minister, Pushpa Dahal Prachanda the outstanding issue of Kosi river to prevent recurrence of devastation. Prachanda is coming to India on Sunday.
Nitish said that he expects rational, fair and new deal through a special Kosi package. He said that overall expenditure on the requirements will be 8922 crore rupees for medium term measures.
In a memorandum submitted to the Prime Minister he regretted that not much progress has been made on the proposal of setting up of a high level inter-ministerial group in the Prime Minister’’s office to pursue the initiatives for rehabilitation.
A report on the actions taken by the State Government with regard to rescue and relief operations was also submitted.
Union Railway Minister Lalu Prasad Yadav who also met the Prime Minister blamed the State Government for its carelessness which led to the breach in the Kosi embankment.
He also alleged that the food grains sent by the Centre have yet to be lifted by the state government. (ANI)
- 128 people killed, 6,000 cattle dead in Assam floods - Aug 08, 2012
- Flood waters enter over 1,000 Bihar villages - Aug 20, 2011
- 1.5 million affected in Bihar floods - Aug 22, 2011
- More embankments to control floods in Bihar - Jul 05, 2011
- Rising Kosi floods dozens of Bihar villages - Jul 05, 2012
- Bihar Drought: Nitish Kumar seeks financial aid from Manmohan Singh - Aug 07, 2010
- Floods render thousands homeless in Bihar - Aug 21, 2011
- World Bank gives $220 mn aid to flood-hit Bihar (Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- Bihar returns Gujarat's donation for Kosi flood relief - Jun 19, 2010
- UPA Govt. at Centre has doubled Bihar's allocation: Congress - Aug 20, 2010
- BJP-JD (U) alliance intact, says Sharad Yadav - Jun 19, 2010
- Bihar floods worsen, over 100 villages inundated - Jul 04, 2011
- Will there be another Kosi disaster? - Nov 29, 2010
- World Bank chief to sign pact for rebuilding flood-hit Bihar - Jan 11, 2011
- BJP to discuss Bihar developments tomorrow - Jun 20, 2010
Tags: carelessness, chief minister, coming to india, crore rupees, dahal, dr manmohan singh, embankment, food grains, lalu prasad yadav, manmohan, manmohan singh, ministerial group, new deal, nitish kumar, railway minister, recurrence, rehabilitation efforts, rehabilitation work, relief operations, term measures