Prime Minister hopes for “new beginning”June 1st, 2009 - 1:37 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 1 (ANI): As the first session of 15th Lok Sabha starts today, Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh has expressed the hope of a “new beginning” and that Parliament would be allowed to run smoothly.
Talking to reporters before entering Parliament, Dr. Singh said, “I sincerely hope we will make a new beginning and that Parliament will be allowed to run smoothly. The dialogue, discussion, and reason will prevail in our proceedings. We will give all due respect to the opposition in discharging their responsibility.”
He was received by Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal, Minister of State in the Prime Minister’s Office Prithviraj Chavan and Minister of State, Planning and Parliamentary Affairs V Narayansamy.
Sonia Gandhi took oath as the member of Parliament, Pranab Mukherjee as the leader of the ruling coalition in Lok Sabha and Advani as the leader of the Opposition in the lower house.
The first session will witness the Congress-led United Progress Alliance Government unveiling its plan of action.
Lok Sabha will have seven sittings while the Rajya Sabha would commence its session from June 4.
The President Pratibha Devisingh Patil would address a joint session of parliamentar on June 4, which would indicate the road map of the second term of the Manmohan Singh Government.
Senior most Lok Sabha member Manikrao Gavit of Congress has been appointed Protem Speaker by President Pratibha Patil.
Gavit (75) will perform the duties of the Speaker till the election of a new Speaker on June 3.
Parliament will convene towards end of June for a longer session when the new government will present the full budget for 2009-10.
After the President’s address, the House would discuss and pass the motion of thanks to the President.
The session would conclude on June 9. (ANI)
- Gavit takes over as Pro-tem Speaker, Parliament members take oath - Jun 01, 2009
- Special session to mark 60 years of Indian Parliament - May 05, 2012
- First session of 15th Lok Sabha to begin tomorrow - May 31, 2009
- Budget session will be smooth: PM - Mar 12, 2012
- Have the numbers to run government: PM (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Meira Kumar calls all-party meet today - Oct 20, 2010
- Budget Session of Parliament to start on Feb. 21 - Jan 20, 2011
- 15th Lok Sabha's first session begins on Monday - Jun 01, 2009
- Manikrao Gavit named Lok Sabha protem speaker - May 30, 2009
- Under pressure, PM announces JPC into 2G scam (Second Lead) - Feb 22, 2011
- Next Lok Sabha likely to begin on June 2 - May 19, 2009
- 15th Lok Sabha starts, PM hopes for 'new beginning' (Afternoon Lead) - Jun 01, 2009
- Saudi parliamentary delegation in India - May 07, 2012
- Monsoon session of parliament Aug 8-Sep 7 - Jul 18, 2012
- Manmohan Singh to reply to debate on 'Motion of Thanks' - Mar 05, 2010
Tags: affairs minister, alliance government, chavan, dr manmohan singh, dr singh, gavit, joint session, leader of the opposition, lok sabha member, manmohan, manmohan singh, member of parliament, minister of state, parliamentary affairs, pranab mukherjee, president pratibha patil, prithviraj, rajya sabha, sittings, sonia gandhi