Prevent flare-ups in the future: Assam CM to district administrationOctober 11th, 2008 - 9:29 pm ICT by ANI
Guwahati, Oct 11 (ANI): Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi today asked the district administration of violence-hit Udalguri and Darrang Districts to formulate an action plan to prevent any flare ups in the future.
After visiting the violence-hit areas, Gogoi instructed the authorities to constitute Village Defence Committees (VDC) in all remote and bordering localities with a view to instilling confidence and security among the affected.
Lakhs of people are still taking shelter in relief camps in both districts. They are hesitant to leave the camps out of sense of insecurity.
Meanwhile, the government and various voluntary organizations have initiated massive peace efforts.
The General Officer Commanding of Eastern Command, Lieutenant General V.K.Singh, today undertook an aerial survey of the districts.
In the past five days, there have been no reports of fresh violence in both districts.
Curfew has been relaxed for eight hours during the daytime following improvement in the law and order situation.
Over 51 people have been killed in clashes between the tribal Bodo community and migrant Muslims in violence-hit Udalguri and Darrang Districts of Assam. (ANI)
- PM, Sonia arrive in Guwahati, leave for Kokrajhar - Jul 28, 2012
- No fresh violence in Assam's Bodo areas, toll 45 - Jul 27, 2012
- Gogoi blames centre for army's delayed arrival - Jul 27, 2012
- PM calls for end to Assam violence, assures proper probe (Second Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Army moves to seize illegal arms in Kokrajhar - Sep 01, 2012
- Situation has improved in Assam: Gogoi - Aug 01, 2012
- Must learn to live together: Chidambaram to Assam - Jul 31, 2012
- Uneasy calm in Assam, violence toll 40 - Jul 26, 2012
- 4,000 troopers rushed to violence-hit Assam, PM speaks to Gogoi (Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- More paramilitary forces readied for Assam - Jul 28, 2012
- Assam toll rises to 14, army called in (Third Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Assam violence: Tension continues, army stages flag march - Jul 25, 2012
- It's time for healing: PM tells Assam victims (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Gogoi seeks media help to restore peace - Aug 23, 2012
- PM appeals for peace in Assam, assures proper probe, rehabilitation (Third Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
Tags: aerial survey, assam, bodo, chief minister, clashes, defence committees, district administration, eight hours, flare ups, guwahati, insecurity, lakhs, law and order, lieutenant general, localities, oct 11, peace efforts, relief camps, ups, voluntary organizations