President, VP greets nation on OnamSeptember 11th, 2008 - 4:05 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Sept. 11 (ANI): President Pratibha Patil and Vice President Hamid Ansari today greeted the nation on the occasion of Onam, which is being celebrated tomorrow.
In her m message, Patil said on the auspicious occasion of Onam, I extend my greetings and good wishes to all my fellow citizens.
“May this unique festival, coinciding with the harvest season, bring happiness and prosperity to their lives and reaffirm our pride in the composite culture of India,” she added.
Vice President, in his message called upon the people to celebrate this festival in its true spirit to usher in peace, prosperity and happiness in the lives for all.
Onam, a harvest festival, is celebrated in Kerala when young girls and women make flower patterns called ”Pookalam” in local parlance to welcome the mythical King Mahabali.
Onam recalls the story of mythical demon king Mahabali who created a kingdom in what is now Kerala.
The festival falls during the month of Chingam (August-September as per the Gregorian calendar), the first month of the Malayalam calendar and lasts for ten days.
Traditionally celebrated as a harvest festival, mythologically it is linked to Malayalee-Hindu folktales. (ANI)
- President greets nation ahead of Onam - Sep 01, 2009
- President, PM greet nation on Onam - Sep 08, 2011
- Feasting, fervour mark Onam in Delhi - Aug 29, 2012
- Kerala gets ready for Onam - Aug 18, 2012
- President greets nation on Onam - Aug 28, 2012
- People celebrate Onam across Kerala - Aug 23, 2010
- Zed greets Malayalees on Onam - Aug 09, 2010
- Kerala pays out Rs.100 crore in pension, dole for Onam - Aug 28, 2012
- President, PM greet nation on 'Makar Sankranti', 'Pongal' (Lead) - Jan 13, 2012
- President, Vice President, PM greet nation on Vishu, Rongali Bihu - Apr 13, 2011
- President, PM greet nation on harvest festivals (Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
- Patil, Ansari greet nation on 'Makar Sankranti', 'Pongal' - Jan 13, 2012
- Kerala Tourism unveils 'virtual' pookalam - Sep 09, 2011
- Pookalam contest in Delhi to mark Onam - Aug 19, 2012
- Rain, spiralling prices may mar Onam revelry - Sep 05, 2011
Tags: auspicious occasion, composite culture, culture of india, demon king, flower patterns, gregorian calendar, hamid ansari, harvest festival, harvest season, kerala, king mahabali, mythical king, New Delhi, onam, parlance, president pratibha patil, prosperity, sept 11, true spirit, young girls