President visits Mahabodhi temple, inaugurates cultural festival at Magadh UniversityFebruary 15th, 2008 - 9:00 pm ICT by admin
Gaya (Bihar), Feb 15 (ANI): President Pratibha Patil, who is on a two-day official visit to Bihar, today visited the Mahabodhi temple at Bodh Gaya and innaugrated the first Inter University Cultural Festival hosted by the Magadh University.
The Mahabodhi temple is a shrine in Bodh Gaya where the Buddha attained enlightenment.
Patil who is on her first official visit to Bihar since assuming office in July 2007, said after visiting the temple that the teachings of Lord Buddha should be adopted by the entire humanity.
“The path shown by Lord Buddha to the whole of humanity holds significance for us even today. Mahatma’s movement was based on the principles of Ahimsa and Love. He showed the path of knowledge to the entire world,” Patil said.
The President who arrived in Bodh Gaya from Nalanda also attended the First Inter University Cultural Festival hosted by the Magadh University.
She is also scheduled to visit the Legislative Assembly in state capital Patna.
Patil will also launch the “Mukhyamantri Kanya Vivah Yojna” and inaugurate an International Conference on Hyperthermia in Patna.
The President will also visit places of historical importance at Nalanda, Bodh Gaya and Vaishali, as well as the Gurudwara Patna Sahib in the state capital. (ANI)
- Buddhist monks to get ID cards in Bodh Gaya - Sep 02, 2011
- Dried branches of Bodhi tree chopped - Aug 01, 2012
- Rename Gaya airport after Buddha: Nitish - Jun 11, 2011
- Myanmar ruler arrives in India - Jul 25, 2010
- President Patil to visit Bihar tomorrow - Feb 14, 2008
- President Patil to visit Bihar today - Feb 15, 2008
- Dalai Lama to visit Bodh Gaya in January - Nov 20, 2009
- Bhutanese PM attends annual Mahabodhi Society meet - Sep 25, 2010
- Gere in Bodh Gaya to attend Dalai Lama's discourse - Jan 02, 2012
- Wasps sting tourists in Bodh Gaya - Mar 23, 2012
- Thai woman returns to ailing dog in Bihar - May 02, 2012
- Annual monsoon festival at Gaya's Mahabodhi Temple attracts Hindu pilgrims - Aug 13, 2010
- Monks upset over Dalai Lama not raising temple issue - May 28, 2010
- Nalanda to be developed as tourist hub - Feb 18, 2010
- Buddha Purnima celebrated at Bodh Gaya - May 27, 2010
Tags: ahimsa, bihar, bodh gaya, buddha, enlightenment, entire world, hyperthermia, inter university, legislative assembly, lord buddha, love, mahabodhi temple, mahatma, nalanda, patna sahib, president pratibha patil