President, Vice President and PM greet nation on Diwali (lead: Happy Diwali)November 14th, 2007 - 10:16 am ICT by admin
“Diwali, the festival of lights is a time for celebration when family and friends come together. Let this festival of lights inspire us to help those as yet untouched by the light of education, heath and prosperity. May this Diwali bring happiness and joy to everyone,” the President added.
Vice President Hamid Ansari in his greetings, said, “Diwali is truly a national festival symbolising celebration and hope for mankind by providing an opportunity to reaffirm faith in all that is good, noble and virtuous. While celebrating the festival, there is a great need to inculcate these time-tested values in our lives.”
“We celebrate this festival in its true spirit with care and concern. This festival fosters peace, prosperity and happiness and unite us all in joyful celebrations,” the Vice President added.
Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh also greeted the nation on the joyous occasion of Diwali.
In his message, Dr. Singh said, “The festival of lights, Diwali is a festival which is a harbinger of joy, happiness and prosperity. It celebrates the victory of good over evil, of knowledge over ignorance and of light over darkness. It is a national festival in which all communities rejoice and contribute to promoting brotherhood and camaraderie.”
“May this Diwali bring peace and prosperity to the people of our nation, to our neighbours and the world at large,” the Prime Minister added.
The day commemorates the homecoming of Lord Ram after a 14-year exile in forest. The people of Ayodhya welcomed him back by lighting rows of lamps.
The festival, which signifies victory of good over the evil, comes exactly twenty days after Dussehra.
There are several beliefs regarding the origin of festival. Hindus celebrate Diwali to mark the time when Lord Ram achieved victory over Ravana. Some also view it as the day Krishna defeated the demon Narakasura or in honour of the day Bali went to rule the nether-world, obeying the order of Vishnu.
In Jainism, it marks the nirvana of Lord Mahavira, which occurred on October 15, 527 B.C. (ANI)
- President, PM greet nation on Diwali - Oct 25, 2011
- President, PM greet nation on Diwali - Nov 04, 2010
- Diwali being celebrated with traditional fervour and zeal across India - Nov 05, 2010
- President Patil, Vice President Ansari greet nation on Deepawali - Nov 04, 2010
- Vice President greets nation ahead of Diwali - Nov 04, 2010
- President, VP, PM greet nation on Diwali - Oct 16, 2009
- President, PM greet nation on Dussehra, Durga Puja - Oct 05, 2011
- President, vice president greet nation on Holi - Mar 18, 2011
- Vice President Hamid Ansari greets the nation on Dussehra eve - Oct 16, 2010
- President, PM, vice president greet nation on Christmas (Second Lead) - Dec 24, 2011
- Dussehra being celebrated throughout India - Oct 17, 2010
- President, Vice President greet nation on Makara Sankranti, Pongal - Jan 13, 2011
- President, PM greet nation on Onam - Sep 08, 2011
- President, PM greet nation on 'Makar Sankranti', 'Pongal' (Lead) - Jan 13, 2012
- President, Vice President greet citizens on occasion of Christmas - Dec 24, 2010
Tags: ayodhya, camaraderie, care and concern, celebration, diwali, dr manmohan singh, dr singh, good over evil, happiness, harbinger, inculcate, joyous occasion, lord ram, neighbours, peace, prime minister, prosperity, vice president, victory, warm greetings