President unveils Shahu Maharaj’’s statueFebruary 17th, 2009 - 6:45 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb 17 (ANI): President Pratibha Patil unveiled the statue of prominent social reformer and educationist Rajarshi Chhatrapati Shahu Maharaj in Parliament on Tuesday.
Vice President Hamid Ansari, Speaker Somnath Chatterjee, External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee, Leader of the Opposition LK Advani, UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi, Maharashtra Governor SC Jamir, and a host of state cabinet ministers, Union Ministers and Members of Paliament, attended the unveiling ceremony.
Ram Sutar, the sculptor of the eight-foot statue was honoured by Patil.
Shahu Maharaj is remembered for his magnificent reign in the princely state of Kolhapur for 28 years from 1894 to 1922, in which he took initiatives for the eradication of poverty, ignorance, superstitions and backwardness prevalent in the society then.
He also took great efforts to remove untouchability by calling for non-discrimination at all places, including public wells, buildings, dharamshalas and state houses.
In 1902, Maharaj also introduced a reservation policy for backward classes, which proposed to retain 50 per cent of jobs in government offices for them. (ANI)
- Patna to get tallest Gandhi statue on October 2 - Aug 05, 2012
- Gandhi statue unveiled in Canadian museum (With Images) - Jun 17, 2010
- Mumbai airport's cost escalation: Shivaji statue in blame game - Nov 11, 2011
- Wax statue of Chhatrapati Shivaji unveiled - Mar 03, 2011
- Maharashtra gets large share of Mamata's largesse - Feb 24, 2010
- Kapil Dev, Bhujbal now in wax (with Images) - Nov 25, 2011
- Mahatma Gandhi statues and busts popular worldwide - Nov 30, 2010
- Djokovic unveils wax figure of himself in Serbia - Feb 10, 2012
- Hazare's wax statue unveiled in Maharashtra - Nov 20, 2011
- Hazare's wax statue unveiled in Maharashtra (Lead, With Images) - Nov 20, 2011
- Shiv Sena activists protest over removal of Konddev's statue in Pune - Dec 27, 2010
- President Patil to visit Vidarbha today - Jul 17, 2009
- Warne set to be immortalised in bronze statue - May 30, 2011
- Mayawati unveils two statues of B. R. Ambedkar on his 54th death anniversary - Dec 06, 2010
- Shivaji memorial planned outside Mumbai airport - Jul 09, 2010
Tags: cabinet ministers, eradication of poverty, external affairs minister, foot statue, jamir, kolhapur, leader of the opposition, pranab mukherjee, president pratibha patil, princely state, public wells, ram sutar, reservation policy, shahu maharaj, social reformer, sonia gandhi, state cabinet, state houses, union ministers, untouchability