President to inaugurate World Lake ConferenceNovember 14th, 2007 - 3:00 am ICT by admin
This is the first time that this conference is being held in the South Asian region.
This will be the President’s first visit to Rajasthan since she was sworn-in in July. President Patil was the Governor of Rajasthan before she was elected as the President of India.
She will return to New Delhi on the same evening.
The five-day conference will revolve around five major themes of science and lakes, conservation and management, special group of lakes, socio-economic aspects and special sessions.
It will focus on bio-diversity and conservation, lake catchments and eco-system process, invasive species and wind control besides fisheries, zone management, eco-hydrology, community participation and legal and regulatory frameworks.
It will have participants from Russia, Australia, Austra, China, Italy, the Netherlands, Denmark, Zimbabwe, Canada, the US, the Phillippines, Czech Republic, Poland and Japan.
The conference is in the series of conferences held every two years since 1985, under the aegis of the International Lake Environment Committee (ILEC) Foundation (Japan).
A special logo has been adopted for the conference. The logo represents natural lakes in the Himalayan belt and other hilly regions of the country. It depicts their recreational and spiritual cultural significance in Indian society.
The ’shikara’ (boat) in the logo reflects also their value for tourism and livelihoods. Further, the leaves of ‘chinar’ symbolize the natural vegetated catchments, so essential for maintaining high water quality in the lakes. (ANI)
- President Patil to leave for Jaipur today - Nov 14, 2007
- Major wetlands in India (To go with: Maharashtra to bid for UN recognition to six wetlands) - Sep 07, 2012
- Rules to conserve wetlands notified - Dec 02, 2010
- Maharashtra to bid for UN recognition to six wetlands (With Images) - Sep 07, 2012
- Youths must be sensitised about environment: President - May 30, 2012
- India should conserve its wetlands, says BNHS director - Feb 02, 2011
- Rashtrapati Bhavan's green initiative to get new logo - May 27, 2012
- Rajasthan to protect land near Keoladeo National Park - May 29, 2011
- President Patil felicitates Roshni logo contest winner (With image) - Jun 05, 2012
- Water management systems reflect existing socio-economic structures: Ansari - Apr 13, 2011
- Rashtrapati Bhavan green initiative gets new logo (With image) - May 30, 2012
- Water rises in Himachal's Pong dam - Aug 21, 2012
- Now, a regulatory mechanism for wetland conservation - May 23, 2010
- A house for conservationists - Sep 13, 2011
- Pranab to be sworn in president at 11.30 a.m. on Wednesday - Jul 22, 2012
Tags: austra, bio diversity, conservation lake, eco system, environment committee, hilly regions, ilec, international lake, japan, lake environment, natural lakes, president of india, rajasthan, regulatory frameworks, shikara, south asian region, wind control, world lake conference