President to attend diamond jubilee function of Guwahati High Court todayApril 4th, 2009 - 11:28 am ICT by ANI
Guwahati, Apr 4 (ANI): President Patil will attend the closing session of the diamond jubilee of the Guwahati High Court today.
The President arrived here on Friday evening after completing her three-day visit to Arunachal Pradesh. After her arrival, she exchanged views with a selected group of school children, teachers and parents at the Raj Bhavan.The Guwahati High Court was established on March 1, 1948 after the Government of India Act, 1935 was passed.
It was originally known as the High Court of Assam and Nagaland, but renamed as Guwahati High Court in 1971 by the North East Areas (Reorganisation) Act, 1971.
It has largest jurisdiction in terms of states, with its area covering the states of Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Meghalaya, Nagaland, Tripura and Mizoram.
The court has benches in Kohima, Aizwal and Imphal. It also has circuit benches at Agartala and Shillong. The court has sanctioned judge strength of 27. (ANI)
- Three northeastern states to get high courts by October - May 17, 2012
- Three northeastearn states soon to have high courts - May 12, 2012
- Three northeast states could get own high courts soon - Nov 27, 2011
- Want to settle border row with neighbours, says Gogoi - Jul 13, 2012
- Separate high courts to be set up in northeastern states - Mar 02, 2011
- President okays three high courts in northeast - Jun 09, 2012
- Centre may amend act for Tripura High Court: chief minister - Dec 14, 2009
- 'Northeastern capitals on rail map by 2017' - Jul 02, 2011
- New system to monitor seismic activity in northeast - Sep 17, 2010
- Northeast women's panels want 33 percent reservation - Feb 09, 2012
- Three greenfield airports in northeastern India - Jul 24, 2010
- 5.4-magnitude quake rocks Assam, Meghalaya (Lead) - May 11, 2012
- Telecom facilities to be raised in northeast to spur growth - Jun 18, 2012
- Mukherjee has majority support in northeast - Jul 07, 2012
- Myanmarese nationals get jail for entering India illegally - Mar 24, 2012
Tags: agartala, arunachal pradesh, assam, benches, closing session, diamond jubilee, east areas, friday evening, government of india, india act, jurisdiction, manipur, march 1, meghalaya, nagaland, parents, raj bhavan, shillong, tripura