President Pratibha Patil congratulates Rajapaksa on re-electionJanuary 27th, 2010 - 8:21 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Jan 27(ANI): President Pratibha Devisingh Patil on Wednesday congratulated Sri Lanka’s incumbent President Mahinda Rajapaksa on his re-election in Tuesday’s Presidential elections.
Rajapakse achieved a landslide victory in Sri Lanka’s sixth presidential election, defeating his main rival, former army chief Sarath Fonseka, with a solid 57.9 percent of the vote.
“Please accept my heartiest congratulations on your electoral victory. I am confident that under your continued leadership, Sri Lanka will attain greater heights and find lasting peace,” President Patil said in her message.
“India and Sri Lanka share historically close and friendly relations. I wish to assure you of India’s commitment to further deepen our relations with Sri Lanka. We look forward to working with you, towards this end for the mutual benefit of our two peoples,” she added.
Rajapaksa won popularity after vanquishing the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) last May. He received 6.01 million votes, 1.84 million more than his main rival Fonseka.
He also secured more than 60 percent of the postal votes in the districts of Rathnapura, Moneragala, Puttalam, Galle, Hambantota, Trincomalee, Matara, Matale, Badulla, Digamadulla, Kalutara, Vavuniya, Polonnaruwa, Kegalle, Colombo, Kandy, Nuwara Eliya and Anuradhapura districts. (ANI)
- Rajapakse close to landslide victory in sixth Lanka presidential election - Jan 27, 2010
- Rajapaksa gets nod to free jailed ex-army chief - May 17, 2012
- Sri Lanka's ex-army chief released from jail - May 21, 2012
- Rajapaksa orders release of jailed ex-army chief - May 20, 2012
- India hopes Rajapaksa win will give stability to Sri Lanka - Jan 28, 2010
- Canadian Tamils support former Sri Lankan army chief - Oct 09, 2010
- Former Sri Lankan Army chief arrested, to be court-martialled (Second Lead) - Feb 09, 2010
- Sri Lankan ex-army chief gets bail - May 18, 2012
- PM greets Rajapaksa on re-election as Sri Lankan president - Jan 27, 2010
- Troops surround Colombo hotel where Fonseka is lodged - Jan 27, 2010
- Rajapaksa takes early lead in Sri Lankan presidential poll - Jan 27, 2010
- Sri Lanka's former army chief vows to topple government - Jun 14, 2012
- Free Fonseka, Sri Lankan opposition says (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Fonseka shouldn't leave Sri Lanka, says president's brother (Interview) - Jan 28, 2010
- First visit to northern Sri Lanka by a president in 30 years - Jan 10, 2010
Tags: anuradhapura, badulla, electoral victory, eliya, hambantota, incumbent president, landslide victory, lasting peace, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, mahinda rajapaksa, message india, mutual benefit, president mahinda rajapaksa, president pratibha patil, presidential elections, sarath fonseka, trincomalee, two peoples, vavuniya