President, PM greet nation on Durga PujaOctober 6th, 2008 - 3:34 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Oct 6 (ANI): President Pratibha Patil and Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh today greeted the nation on the occasion of Durga Puja.
In her message, President Patil said, “On the auspicious occasion of Durga Puja, I send my warm greetings to all my fellow citizens and wish them happiness and prosperit”.
“Durga Puja symbolizes the triumph of truth, righteousness and virtue over evil. May this great festival inspire us to walk on the path of rectitude and tolerance and build a society in which peace and harmony always prevail,” she added.
In his separate message, Dr. Singh said that India has an age-old tradition of celebrating Durga Puja. It symbolise the triumph of good over evil.
He said the activities centering around these festivals symbolise our rich cultural heritage and are an inspiration for a life of righteous action.
The Navratri festival, celebrated at the onset of spring and autumn, marks the period of special obeisance to the power of Goddess Durga, a manifestation of the Mother Goddess in Hindu mythology.
Hindus believe Goddess Durga descends on earth during Navratri to rid it of the demons from the netherworld and to bless her devotees with happiness and prosperity.
The nine days of Navratri stand for the nine manifestations of Goddess Durga. (ANI)
- President, PM greet nation on Dussehra, Durga Puja - Oct 05, 2011
- President greets the nation on Durga Puja - Oct 03, 2011
- Dussehra being celebrated throughout India - Oct 17, 2010
- President Patil greets people on Durga Puja - Oct 14, 2010
- President, Vice President, PM greet nation on Ram Navami - Apr 12, 2011
- President, V-P and PM greet people on occasion of Durga Puja - Oct 06, 2008
- President Patil, Vice President Ansari greet nation on Deepawali - Nov 04, 2010
- President, PM greet nation on Diwali - Nov 04, 2010
- Fervour and gaiety mark first day of Navratri - Apr 04, 2011
- PM greets nation on Dussehra, Durga Puja - Oct 06, 2008
- Durga Puja, Navratri festivities conclude - it's Dussehra! - Oct 06, 2011
- Diwali being celebrated with traditional fervour and zeal across India - Nov 05, 2010
- President, VP, PM greet nation on Diwali - Oct 16, 2009
- Tibetan PM-in-exile wishes Indians on occasion of Diwali - Nov 05, 2010
- South India heralds New Year, north ushers Navratri (Roundup) - Apr 04, 2011
Tags: auspicious occasion, cultural heritage, dr manmohan singh, dr singh, durga puja, goddess durga, good over evil, hindu mythology, manmohan, manmohan singh, mother goddess, navratri, navratri festival, netherworld, nine days, obeisance, peace and harmony, rectitude, spring and autumn, warm greetings