President pitches for safer environment to women at workNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:18 am ICT by admin
Commenting on the legislation to protect women against domestic violence and from sexual harassment at the workplace and to give Hindu women inheritance rights in co-parcenary property, she said: “Legislative and administrative initiatives to empower our women are necessary and important, but not enough. We also need a fundamental change in our mindsets.”
There is a need of new social reform movement for gender equality and empowerment of women - a movement that changes society’s attitude towards women, Patil added.
It is equally important for women to be motivated to fight discrimination and to march towards equal status, she said.
Emphasising on physical education of girl students, she said, “Self-defence is the best defence.”
Commenting on grim scenario of male-female sex ratio in the country, Patil said: “Unfortunately, female foeticide is committed not only by the illiterate and the impoverished, it is being committed in cities and among the educated and well-to-do.”
She went on to say that it was shocking to see that there were higher incidents of female foeticide in the more developed districts and regions of the country.
Tamil Nadu Governor and Chancellor of Mother Teresa Women’s University Surjit Singh Barnalaji, Tamil Nadu Minister for Higher Education and Pro-Chancellor of the University K Ponmudy, State Minister for Social Welfare Poongothai and Vice Chancellor of the University D Janaki were also present on the occasion.
Mother Teresa Women’s University was established in 1984, in the presence of Mother Teresa, a humanitarian par-excellence and Nobel Laureate for Peace. (ANI)
- President concerned over declining sex ratio - Jan 14, 2012
- Improve India's sex ratio, says president - Mar 17, 2011
- Patil calls for continued efforts for women empowerment - Nov 19, 2010
- President calls for social movement for gender equality - Apr 09, 2011
- Be catalyst for change, Alva tells Muslim girls - Feb 03, 2011
- Shun violence, join mainstream: President Patil to Maoists - Jun 24, 2011
- Driving social change for women - via stardom - Sep 12, 2012
- A battle won for girls' education in male bastion (Feature with images) - Jun 03, 2012
- Patil's goodbye wish: A 'corruption-free India' - Jul 24, 2012
- Change mindset to curb female foeticide: Experts - Jul 13, 2012
- Tamil Nadu's Noorul Islam University to launch satellite - Dec 16, 2011
- In 'Satyamev Jayate' Aamir deals with female foeticide - and how! - May 06, 2012
- Raids at former DMK minister's premises - Sep 27, 2011
- Teach girls martial arts for self-protection: President - Nov 02, 2011
- President to inaugurate Mother Teresa centenary function - Aug 26, 2010
Tags: administrative initiatives, best defence, chancellor, empowering women, female foeticide, female sex ratio, fight discrimination, gender equality, girl students, grim scenario, higher education, hindu women, illiterate, inheritance rights, mother teresa, patil, physical education, s university, tamil nadu, women at work