President Patil, Vice President Ansari greet people on Id-ul-FitrSeptember 10th, 2010 - 3:43 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Sep 10 (ANI): President Pratibha Devisingh Patil and Vice President Mohammad Hamid Ansari have greeted the people of our country on the joyous occasion on Id-ul-Fitr, which is being celebrated tomorrow.
In her message, President Patil said: “I have great pleasure in extending my greetings and good wishes to all my fellow citizens on the auspicious occasion of Id-ul-Fitr. The festival brings joy and happiness on the culmination of the month of Holy Ramzan, a period of fasting, prayer and charity.”
“May this festival strengthen our faith in oneness, compassion and tolerance and instill in us a sense of brotherhood and goodwill towards all. Let us rededicate ourselves on this day to the service of humanity,” she added.
Greeting the people on the occasion, Vice President Ansari said: “I extend my greetings and good wishes to the people of our country on the joyous occasion of Id-ul-Fitr. Id-ul-Fitr which marks the end of the holy month of ‘Ramzan’ is celebrated with fervour and traditional gaiety inspiring compassion and brotherhood.”
“May this auspicious occasion bring amity, prosperity and happiness in our lives,” he added.
The celebration culminates the fasting by devotees for a month during Ramzan, the ninth month of the Islamic lunar calendar.
The faithful wake up early morning for the pre-dawn ’sehri’ meal renouncing food and water during the day before breaking their fast in the evening. The evening meal is known as ‘iftaar’.
As Islam follows a lunar calendar, the holy month begins every year about 11 days earlier and its commencement is traditionally determined by the appearance of the new moon. (ANI)
- President, PM greet nation on Eid (Lead) - Aug 19, 2012
- President Mukherjee greets nation on Eid - Aug 19, 2012
- Vice President greets people on Id-ul-Fitr - Sep 20, 2009
- Eid-ul-Fitr to be celebrated on Saturday - Sep 10, 2010
- President, prime minister greet nation on Eid (Lead) - Aug 30, 2011
- Prime Minister greets nation on Id-ul-Fitr - Sep 20, 2009
- Muslims observes Ramadan with prayers at mosques - Aug 12, 2010
- Hindus join Muslims in celebrating Eid in Odisha - Aug 20, 2012
- PM meets Ansari on Eid - Aug 20, 2012
- PM visits Ansari, greets him on Eid - Aug 31, 2011
- Vice President greets people on Id-Ul-Fitr - Oct 01, 2008
- Id-ul Zuha celebrated across India today - Nov 17, 2010
- President, vice president greet nation on Holi - Mar 18, 2011
- President, PM greet nation ahead of Id-ul-Fitr - Oct 01, 2008
- Lok Sabha speaker greets people on Eid-ul-Fitr - Sep 10, 2010
Tags: amity, auspicious occasion, brotherhood, commencement, compassion, culmination, devotees, gaiety, id ul fitr, islamic lunar calendar, joy and happiness, joyous occasion, mohammad hamid ansari, month of ramzan, New Delhi, new moon, oneness, pre dawn, president mohammad, prosperity