President Patil to visit Laos and CambodiaSeptember 7th, 2010 - 8:05 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Sep 7 (ANI): To further advance India’s Look East policy, President Pratibha Devisingh Patil will be paying a state visit to Laos from September 9 to 13 and Cambodia from September 13 to 18.
President Patil is visiting Laos on the invitation of the President of Laos, Choummaly Sayasone, who paid a state visit to India in August 2008.
A delegation of senior officials will accompany President Patil on her visit.
It would be President Patil’s first visit to Laos, and only the second by an Indian President since the two countries established diplomatic relations in 1955, soon after the visit of former Prime Minister Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru in 1954, and the formation of the International Commission for Supervision and Control (ICSC).
Apart from visiting Laotian capital Vientiane, President Patil and the delegation will also travel to Luang Prabang.
The visit of President Patil to Laos is meant to reaffirm India’s commitment to further strengthen and consolidate bilateral relations, and enhance economic engagement and assistance in socio- economic development.
The President will also have discussions with President Choummaly Sayasone and Prime Minister Bouasone Bouphavanh in Vientiane, apart from official talks between the two sides
After Laos, President Patuil will travel to Cambodia from September 13 - 18 on the invitation of King of Cambodia Norodom Sihamoni.
Apart from visiting Cambodian capital Phnom Penh, President Patil would be travelling with the delegation to Siem Reap where the world famous temples of Angkor Wat is located.
India and Cambodia enjoy a long standing shared historical affinity and close cultural ties. Cambodia is an important partner of India among the ASEAN countries.
President Patil’s visit to Phnom Penh and Siem Reap will provide an opportunity for reaffirming and strengthening multifaceted bilateral ties, including commercial and investment relations.
Cambodia is also currently the coordinator on the ASEAN side for India-ASEAN relations. (ANI)
- President Patil leaves for Laos, Cambodia to further advance India's Look East policy - Sep 09, 2010
- President leaves for Laos, Cambodia on Thursday to advance India's Look East policy - Sep 08, 2010
- Patil heads to Laos, Cambodia - Sep 07, 2010
- President Patil arrives in Laos on five-day visit - Sep 09, 2010
- Enough space for India, China to develop simultaneously: President Patil - Sep 09, 2010
- Ties with Laos, Cambodia of strategic importance to India: President Patil - Sep 09, 2010
- President Patil receives traditional welcome in Cambodia - Sep 14, 2010
- India for cooperation and competition with China - Sep 08, 2010
- Patil accorded ceremonial welcome, meets her Lao counterpart in Vientiane - Sep 10, 2010
- President Patil arrives in Cambodia after ending successful visit to Lao - Sep 13, 2010
- President Patil asks PIO and NRIs to project correct image of India - Sep 13, 2010
- Prez Patil meets Cambodian PM, India extends 15 million dollar credit - Sep 14, 2010
- Oil, gas, mineral, exploration potential with Cambodia huge: Patil - Sep 18, 2010
- Indian president to visit Laos - Sep 06, 2010
- Lao leadership looks forward to investments from Indian private sector: Patil - Sep 18, 2010
Tags: angkor wat, asean countries, bilateral ties, cambodian capital, capital phnom penh, economic engagement, former prime minister, further advance, icsc, indian president, investment relations, jawaharlal nehru, king of cambodia, laotian capital, luang prabang, norodom sihamoni, pratibha devisingh patil, president choummaly sayasone, president of laos, vientiane