President Patil says terrorist incidents are attack on national ethosOctober 12th, 2008 - 9:30 pm ICT by ANI
Pune, Oct 12 (ANI): President Pratibha Patil today described terrorist incidents as attacks on our national ethos and that the country cannot allow misguided elements to pursue their divisive agenda.
Patil, while speaking at the tenth convocation function of Bharati Vidyapeeth University, said, “The recent terrorist incidents and other incidents of violence against innocent people are attacks on our national ethos. We are a nation that prides itself for its adherence to the principles of tolerance and peace.
Terrorists only have an agenda of disruption and destruction, said Patil, adding, We cannot allow these misguided elements to pursue their divisive agenda.”
The President said that violence by a few should not divert people from the path of growth or dilute the basic tolerant character of the country.
Patil also urged people to change the mindsets of those harbouring the creed of violence and turn them towards the path of peace, amity and communal harmony.
There is a need for everyone to come together and jointly fight terrorism, added Patil.
While stressing the need to spread education for all, Patil said, “It is good that the 11th Five Year Plan, while enunciating its ”inclusive growth” approach, has given larger focus and financial allocation to higher education.”
During the convocation, Patil was also conferred the degree of D.Litt (Honoris Causa Doctor of Letters) by the university Vice Chancellor Patangrao Kadam.
Maharashtra Governor S C Jamir and Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh also attended the function today. (ANI)
- Jamia to confer Doctor of Letters degree to Dalai Lama - Nov 22, 2010
- Jamia to confer honorary degree to UN chief - Apr 25, 2012
- Tripura varsity confers honorary doctorate on Hasina - Jan 12, 2012
- What happened to PM's honorary degree? - Jul 28, 2011
- Protect, improve traditional knowledge of northeast India: Patil - Sep 25, 2010
- Tripura varsity to confer doctorate on Sheikh Hasina - Dec 21, 2011
- Bangladesh prime minister to visit Tripura in September - Apr 11, 2010
- Tripura university to set up Bangladesh Study Centre - Jan 25, 2012
- PAU to confer honorary degree on Tajikistan president - Aug 27, 2012
- Pratibha Patil to be awarded doctorate by Goa University - Nov 21, 2009
- IGNOU to honour Dalai Lama - Aug 25, 2011
- Bangladesh PM to visit Tripura - Sep 11, 2011
- Dalai Lama to inaugurate IGNOU's Tibetan study centre - Aug 30, 2011
- Film study should be included in school curriculum: Benegal - Mar 22, 2012
- Promote tolerance, repulse extremism: Zardari - Aug 20, 2012
Tags: adherence, amity, bharati vidyapeeth university, chief minister, communal harmony, convocation, creed, disruption, fight terrorism, harbouring, higher education, jamir, kadam, maharashtra, mindsets, president pratibha patil, terrorist incidents, vice chancellor, vilasrao deshmukh, violence against