President Patil lauds Mauritius for its support to IndiaApril 24th, 2011 - 10:07 pm ICT by ANI
By Ravinder Singh Robin
Port Louis (Mauritius), Apr 24(ANI): President Pratibha Devisingh Patil on Sunday lauded the Mauritius government for its extended support on global issues of crucial importance to India.
President Patil was talking to mediapersons on-board her way to Mauritius.
“Mauritius has consistently supported India’s candidature for a permanent membership in an expanded United Nations Security Council and has been unequivocal in its condemnation of international terrorism,” Patil said.
The President also called for further strengthening of India-Mauritius relations in the coming years.
“I am looking forward to my visit to Mauritius as an opportunity to reaffirm our unique relationship, and to further strengthen the framework of co-operation,” Patil said.
“We are committed to work with the Mauritius government to jointly fight piracy and enhance security in the Indian Ocean through mutually agreed measures,” she added. President Patil is on a five-day state visit during which she will address Mauritius’ National Assembly and hold discussions with the island nation’s top leadership. During the visit, the President would meet Mauritius President Sir Anerood Jugnauth and Prime Minister Dr. Navinchandra Ramgoolam, as well as the leaders of opposition and speaker of their national assembly.
Patil said that her discussions with the leadership of Mauritius would cover a wide range of bilateral, regional and international issues of mutual interest.
“I hope that the exchange of views at these meetings will provide a greater momentum and thrust to the process of consolidation and development of our partnership in all spheres,” Patil said.
The President will also be interacting with the members of the Indian community.
In context with the India’s relations with African countries, the President said that New Delhi looks at Mauritius as a friendly country in the African continent.
“I am, therefore, pleased that the first country in Africa which I will be visiting, is Mauritius. India-Africa relations are historical and strong. They hold great promise in the future as well,” Patil said.
“In 2008, we initiated the India-Africa Forum Summit, as a platform for broader engagement with countries in Africa. I am pleased that the second meeting of the India-Africa Forum Summit is to take place next month in Ethiopia,” she added. (ANI)
- India keen to enhance economic cooperation with Mauritius - Apr 26, 2011
- President Patil leaves on five-day state visit to Mauritius today - Apr 24, 2011
- President Patil to visit Mauritius tomorrow - Apr 23, 2011
- Pratibha Patil on state visit to Mauritius from Sunday - Apr 23, 2011
- India provides $250 mn line of credit, $20 mn grant to Mauritius (Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
- President Patil lauds Mauritius for its support to India over UNSC seat - Apr 26, 2011
- India to provide $250 mn line of credit to Mauritius - Feb 07, 2012
- India to further strengthen relations with Mauritius - Jul 03, 2010
- Mauritius invites Indian investments - Feb 08, 2012
- India to supply patrol ship to Mauritius - Jul 05, 2010
- President Patil accorded warm welcome in Mauritius - Apr 24, 2011
- India to supply coastal security equipment to Mauritius - Nov 05, 2009
- President Patil praises Mauritius for its electoral system - Apr 26, 2011
- Mauritius will find solution on tax evasion: Mauritius minister (Interview) - Feb 12, 2012
- Charm Africa: Manmohan heads to Ethiopia, Tanzania next week (Lead) - May 17, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,