President Patil greets nation on Guru Nanak JayantiNovember 12th, 2008 - 4:19 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Nov 12 (ANI): President Pratibha Patil greeted the nation on the occassion of Guru Nanak Jayanti which is being celebrated tomorrow.
In a message, the President said, On the auspicious occasion of the birthday of Guru Nanak Devji, I convey my heartiest greetings to all my fellow citizens.
Guru Nanak Devjis teachings of love, brotherhood, truthfulness, sacrifice and the importance of leading a righteous life as a way to attaining spiritual progress are of eternal relevance. Let us resolve to deeply understand his noble teachings and rededicate ourselves to the cause of humanity, equality, brotherhood and harmony, She added.
Guru Nanak Dev, the founder of the Sikh religion, was born in November 1469 at Talwandi, now called Nankana Sahib.
The anniversaries of Sikh Gurus are known as Gurpurabs (festivals), and celebrated by Sikhs with devotion.
Gurpurabs mark the culmination of Prabhat Pheris, the early morning procession that starts from the gurdwaras and then goes around localities singing shabads (hymns).
The celebrations also include the three-day Akhand path, during which the Guru Granth Sahib is read continuously, from beginning to end without a break.
On the day of the festival, the Granth Sahib is also carried in a procession on a float, decorated with flowers, throughout a village or city. (ANI)
- Guru Nanak Jayanti being celebrated today - Nov 21, 2010
- Guru Nanak Jayanti being celebrated today - Nov 02, 2009
- PM greets nation ahead of Guru Nanak Jayanti - Nov 01, 2009
- Guru Nanak's birth anniversary celebrated with fervour (Lead) - Nov 21, 2010
- Sikhs celebrates 540th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak - Nov 13, 2008
- 3,000 Sikhs to visit Pakistan on Baisakhi - Apr 04, 2012
- President Patil greets nation on Guru Nanak Jayanti - Nov 20, 2010
- Vice President greets people on Guruparab - Nov 01, 2009
- Punjab celebrates Gurpurab - Nov 21, 2010
- Prime Minister, Vice President greet nation on Guru Nanak Jayanti - Nov 20, 2010
- President, PM greet nation on Guru Nanak Jayanti (Lead) - Nov 20, 2010
- President greets nation on Guru Nanak jayanti - Nov 09, 2011
- Hindus greet Sikhs on Guru Gobind Singh birthday - Jan 01, 2011
- Prayers, devotion mark Gurpurab in Punjab, Haryana - Nov 10, 2011
- Vice President, PM greet nation on Guru Nanaks birthday - Nov 23, 2007
Tags: anniversaries, auspicious occasion, brotherhood, culmination, gurdwaras, guru granth sahib, guru nanak dev, guru nanak jayanti, hymns, occassion, prabhat, president pratibha patil, procession, righteous life, sikh gurus, sikh religion, sikhs, spiritual progress, talwandi, truthfulness