President Patil calls for better implementation of the rule of law for weaker sectionsNovember 24th, 2007 - 11:13 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Nov 24 (ANI): President Pratibha Patil on Saturday called for better implementation of the rule of law, particularly for the disadvantaged sections of society.
In her address at the International Conference of Jurists here today, Patil said, “We need to reinforce our efforts for the better implementation of the rule of law, particularly for the disadvantaged sections of society.”
“People should be made aware of their substantive legal rights as well as legal courts that can be approached for the enforcement of their rights,” she added.
She also called for the need to a speedier disposal of cases.
“The basic postulate of the rule of law that ‘justice should not only be done but it must also be seen to be done’, is a constant reminder of the high standards that must be maintained in delivering justice. In this context, sometimes justice delayed can become justice denied, and hence the need to ensure speedier disposal of cases,” she said.
She also stressed on the use of alternative dispute settlement systems as a solution for the piling of cases in the country’s courts.
“Clearly, in a country with the size and magnitude of India, there remain many challenges in providing social justice as well as justice to the marginalized sections of our society. High cost of judicial remedy is a cause of concern that needs rectification. Alternative dispute settlement systems need to be encouraged,” she said.
The conference is being organized by the International Council of Jurists, the All India Bar Association and the Indian Council of Jurists.
The International Council of Jurists is a body of jurists working towards promotion of administration of justice and healthy development of law, suitable to social and economic needs of the people. (ANI)
- Judiciary must be responsive to emerging issues: President - Aug 06, 2011
- President calls for affordable justice for India's poor - Apr 17, 2010
- President calls for reducing litigation costs - Aug 07, 2011
- 'Legally literate' Chandigarh students to help needy - May 25, 2011
- Pakistan gets acting chief justice - May 28, 2012
- Be disciplined, do social work: Patil tells students - Feb 08, 2012
- Patil for alternative dispute settlement mechanism - Jun 27, 2009
- PM calls for dramatic reforms in quality of legal education system - May 01, 2010
- Strengthen Lok Adalats: Minister - Mar 13, 2010
- High courts to get special wings for commercial disputes - Feb 06, 2011
- Delhi to host consumer rights conference from March 14 - Mar 12, 2011
- Hear land owner before acquisition: Apex court - Nov 24, 2011
- Pakistan apex court chief justice to be honoured - Apr 29, 2012
- India needs 35,000 lower courts, says CJI - Dec 12, 2009
- Lack of settlement culture leading to rise in cases: Chief Justice - Jul 10, 2010
Tags: constant reminder, disadvantaged sections, dispute settlement, healthy development, implementation, India, international council, justice denied, pratibha patil, president, providing social, rule of law, settlement systems, substantive legal