President inaugurates Pulse Polio campaignJanuary 31st, 2009 - 6:20 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Jan 31 (ANI): President Pratibha Devi Singh Patil has inaugurated the launch of Pulse Polio campaign on Saturday at Rashtrapati Bhawan.
To mark the National Immunization Day, she administered oral polio drops to five children below five years.
Speaking on the occasion, the Union Health and Family Welfare Minister, Ambumani Ramadoss said that India would be polio-free within next two years, as 33 out of 35 states and union territories are already polio-free.
Last year 566 polio cases have been reported as against over one lakh fifty thousand such cases some years ago. 540 out of 566 polio cases are from Uttar Pradesh and Bihar, he said.
The minister said the government is trying to evolve methods and methodologies to re strengthen the programme for eradication of polio cases in both the states. (ANI)
- President Patil launches 2011 'Pulse Polio' campaign - Jan 22, 2011
- Polio cases drop significantly, new campaign launched - Jan 22, 2011
- Over 17 crore kids get polio vaccine - Feb 19, 2012
- WHO lauds India's year without polio (Lead) - Jan 13, 2012
- Polio under control but India aims at eradication: Azad - Oct 23, 2011
- Pratibha Patil launches bivalent polio vaccine in India - Jan 09, 2010
- Polio-free Southeast Asia within reach: WHO - Sep 05, 2012
- A year of no polio: India triumphs, but risks remains (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- 'Ensure regular vaccination to make India polio free' - Feb 23, 2012
- Any new polio cases to be public health emergency: Azad - Feb 18, 2012
- Japan gives 120 mn yen grant to fight polio - Mar 26, 2012
- Haryana polio-free since 2010: Official - Jul 10, 2012
- Indian firm joins Nigeria's polio battle (With Images) - Feb 23, 2012
- Indian Olympic athletes appeal to root out polio - Aug 02, 2012
- Polio funds get a boost in India: Rotary International - Feb 10, 2012
Tags: eradication, family welfare, Health Science, India, launch, methods and methodologies, national immunization day, New Delhi, polio, polio campaign, polio cases, pulse polio, ramadoss, union territories